News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Original WE set from the 50's? Maybe

Started by Southernphoneman, January 03, 2016, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernphoneman

Judging from the cradle on this red 554 its probably from the 50's, and I don't see them like this very often, so at the price I bought it, but time will tell if it is all original or not. I have been looking for one for a while. When I receive it I will be able to tell and then will update this post.

WEBellSystemChristian

Congratulations! It looks like you have a 'satin hook' Red 554, probably from 1955.

Great find! I haven't even found a colored 554 this early!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

It does look like an early one. I'd say it's from 1956 because the switchhook is large and dull finished. They did that for about a year in 1956 and then went to shiny chrome. I have no idea why, just that from observation of several large collections that 1956 was when they used that feature.

A good sign is also that it still has an open center fingerwheel. Often those would be replaced with a solid center fingerwheel, along with the handset cord, when these were refurbished. Yours looks to have both of those parts original. The card looks typed, but it could be hiding an original.  Let us know what it turns out to be and I hope it arrives safely.

Ah, Christian was right on the spot, posting the same time I was. We'll see if it's 1955 or 56.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on January 03, 2016, 05:53:15 PM
It does look like an early one. I'd say it's from 1956 because the switchhook is large and dull finished. They did that for about a year in 1956 and then went to shiny chrome. I have no idea why, just that from observation of several large collections that 1956 was when they used that feature.

A good sign is also that it still has an open center fingerwheel. Often those would be replaced with a solid center fingerwheel, along with the handset cord, when these were refurbished. Yours looks to have both of those parts original. The card looks typed, but it could be hiding an original.  Let us know what it turns out to be and I hope it arrives safely.

Ah, Christian was right on the spot, posting the same time I was. We'll see if it's 1955 or 56.
That was it, 1956. I thought those hooks were from '55 at first, but it was an impulse reply; you're right, probably '56.
Christian Petterson

jsowers

It's easier to remember when you use a 1955 554 almost every day. Below is the one from my kitchen and it's my oldest color 554. Note the shiny switchhook. This phone was put into use several years ago to make the best out of a bad experience. The housing hit against something during shipping and there's a big chip with two pieces of plastic reglued on the top right corner, not visible with it installed next to the cabinets.

My kitchen is 30 years old, from the era when "almond" was popular, so ivory blends in really well. Also, I ran my own phone wiring when I built the house and I lucked up and somehow put the wall phone outlet at exactly the right height to miss the cabinet door.

Southernphoneman, I hope yours arrives safe and sound--no chips on the corner.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't know if you want to get into it now that it's in active use, but I recommend Dan's technique of using Lacquer Thinner on the chips. I guess it wouldn't work if you already glued the pieces in place. Same goes for you, SouthernPhoneMan, if it does have any pry-cracks.

Still a very drool-worthy phone to me, Jon! :D
Christian Petterson

CanadianGuy

I saw a phone like this (may not have been the same model or year) at a customers home a few years ago. He was a younger guy, had just bought the house not to long before, and didn't even have home phone service installed. I commented on the phone, and even picked it up, and sure enough there was dial tone.

I wish I had extra money to possibly buy old phones off of people. I see quite a few in my travels.

jsowers

Quote from: CanadianGuy on January 04, 2016, 12:28:37 AM
I saw a phone like this (may not have been the same model or year) at a customers home a few years ago. He was a younger guy, had just bought the house not to long before, and didn't even have home phone service installed. I commented on the phone, and even picked it up, and sure enough there was dial tone.

I wish I had extra money to possibly buy old phones off of people. I see quite a few in my travels.

Wall phones of this vintage are screwed to the wall and as such are still found working in older houses, especially in basements and places where something that old wouldn't clash with the decor. It might not take much money to have them part with their old phone if you found it in your travels. You could also take along an ivory thrift store wall/desk phone or two, cleaned up and working, to replace it if they were still using it, and a modular wall jack and some tools. Who knows? They might just be willing to trade phones and call it even!

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 03, 2016, 09:01:21 PM
I don't know if you want to get into it now that it's in active use, but I recommend Dan's technique of using Lacquer Thinner on the chips.

Christian, I may think about repairing those big chips some day when I put a different phone up there. Right now you'd have to be 7' tall to see them.
Jonathan

NorthernElectric

Quote from: CanadianGuy on January 04, 2016, 12:28:37 AMHe was a younger guy, had just bought the house not to long before, and didn't even have home phone service installed. I commented on the phone, and even picked it up, and sure enough there was dial tone.

Maybe it was still connected under the previous owners name and nobody would have noticed if the new homeowner used it for local calls only.   :)
Cliff

andre_janew

Also, the phone company may not care who pays the bill just as long as it gets paid!

Jim Stettler

Around here  (Colorado Springs, CO) they leave dial tone connected, however, you can only make 911 calls and calls to the provider to connect the service again. This is on the "telephone company" lines (Century Link). I don't know if the other dial tone providers do it as well.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Southernphoneman

It arrived today, and I want to thank all of you for your remarks. The news is great, its an all dates matching from 8/1956, and the plastic is thermo plastic(soft plastic) and is in very good condition for its age, so I spent about 44 dollars and change and couldn't pass it up and have been looking for this for a while, while it is not my oldest 554 its my oldest red one my oldest is a black from 12/1955 anyway here are some photos as promised.

jsowers

It looks really great! And all original to 1956 too! Congratulations on getting a nice one and thanks for posting the pictures. Have you checked behind that typed card to see if maybe there's an original stamped card?
Jonathan

Southernphoneman

Quote from: jsowers on January 06, 2016, 07:58:18 PM
It looks really great! And all original to 1956 too! Congratulations on getting a nice one and thanks for posting the pictures. Have you checked behind that typed card to see if maybe there's an original stamped card?
That is a very great question and when I removed the finger wheel and turned the card over this is what I found.

Buzby

Quote from: Southernphoneman on January 06, 2016, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: jsowers on January 06, 2016, 07:58:18 PM
That is a very great question and when I removed the finger wheel and turned the card over this is what I found.

Nice!

Great looking phone, and hopefully the original dial card too.