News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial height problem.

Started by Dan/Panther, March 08, 2009, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Has anyone ever encountered a dial, that either sits too high, or too low on the base, and the case doesn't sit right.
This is a replacement dial, but the original dial was the same.
If the dial is mounted in the detents, where it suppose to, the dial face actually sits below the case and you can see inside the phone. If I mount the dial above the detents, the dial face is high like on a 5302.
What might the problem be. I have another case that I tried and it's the same thing, either dial does the same thing also, so it's not the case or the dial, it apperas to be the base, but what might be wrong with it ?
Is it possible that someone has hit the dial so hard that they bent the base down ? The dial was broken, and the case was cracked around the dial, when i got it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

BTW, that's my sorry attempt at St Patty's day.
D/P

bingster

I had that trouble with both my 500s (yeah, I only have two).  They were both missing their dial gaskets.  I found some surgical type clear vinyl tubing and made new gaskets, and it corrected the problem.  

I have the same problem in reverse with the Princess I just bought, too.  It sits way too low, and I have no idea how to fix it.  All I could do was loosen the dial mounting screws, raise the dial, and tighten the screws.   It's not seated properly, but at least it's not sunken below the case.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bimster;
Yes I tried the gasket, with the dial all the way down on the pins where it's suppose to be, and the gasket in place, the case will not screw on at the front screw. If I put the dial up above the detents like you mention, the gasket does no good, it's too much of a gap. I really think the dial got slammed real hard, and the base is bent, it doesn't appear bent, but it might not take too much to lower the dial significantly.

As far as the princess, I had the same problem. When you take the cover off, you will see that the dial moiunts are rather flimsey, you can carefully bend them inwards to raise the dial, or outwards to lower it, to get the proper height, and levelness. Watch the wires, don't pinch them. In fact to be safe undo all the wires and then, adjust the dial.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, when I first looked at your photo...before reading anything, I thought...wow he has a green 5302!

I have experienced that problem from time to time.  Sometimes it can be corrected when there is a gap on either side of the dial ring by removing the dial apparatus and bending the support brackets one way or the other.  In your case however, and looking at your photo, it MAY be that the feet are hindering the case from lowering all the way down onto the base.  I have seen where some of these refurbished phones had replacement feet riveted on rather sloppily or for some reason they were too far up on the base causing the top of the cover to touch the top of the pads.  IF that is the case in your phone it would explain why the dial ring is too low when the dial is seated where it is supposed to be.  Also, IF that is the case (no pun intended) it may be possible to shave down the tops of those rubber feet in order to allow the cover to sit where it was designed.  The case being too high up however may effect the operation of the plungers.  Have you noticed that?

Just a though.

That is a pretty drastic difference. 

BDM

Now, if I could have some of Dan's height, and he could have some of my "sits to low" from my pink 500, we'd both be happy!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
UUMM!! yeah that's the ticket, it's a rare green 5302, I bought years ago at a Bell Labs going out of business sale....Send me $1000.00, and I'll send it right out to you...
Right now the dial is sitting atop the brackets, and not at the detents, it looks better than the gap when it's down.
The case is above the feet, and looking down the bottom of the base it looks slightly low in the middle, I'm convinced it's bent.

BDM;
You can alter the height of the dial slightly up or down by carefully bending the supports, in or ourt depending on which way you need to go, you can also level a dial this way.
Bending out will slightly lower the dial, bending in will slightly raise the dial. a little makes a big difference. Especially noticeable on 'Princess' phones the brackets bend very easily.
In the case of my green phone, I think the dial was slammed really hard or dropped face down on the floor.

D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, if the base is bowed in the center you should be able to straighten it out a bit.  I would try putting a block under it in the center and pushing down on both ends.  Maybe you've already tried that.  I guess that explains the housing not fitting correctly.

BDM

Well, that was the issue with my pink phone. You couldn't tell, until you put a plain across it. I simply bent it back, and the dial now sits correctly in the cover. Again, you can't tell one bit.

Remember, it's physics. Even though the bend was very small and couldn't be seen without the aid of a plain, the farther away from the point of the bend, the more exaggerated it becomes. It must have moved my dial an 1/8" up. I'd bet this is more of an issue then most know. I had the same issue with my Kellogg 1000. It caused the network block to "teeter" on the chassis pan. It eventually caused it to crack at a mounting point. I did the same thing, used a stiff wooden block, and corrected it.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI