"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with a Western Electric KS-16765 L2 Announcement Set

Started by wh1630, April 25, 2020, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh1630

Good morning everybody,

This is my first post here, so I guess here goes nothing...
Last April I went to an estate sale of a man who had worked for New England Telephone for around 30 years and had also been a collector of old phone equipment as well. I did end up walking away with some rather interesting finds including a new in box 30 button call director, four AE/Strowger step switches, and several Bell System hand tools. This one item, marked "KS 16765 List 2 Announcement set" caught my eye. The people running the sale had no clue what it did and threw it in for free. After some research, I understand that it is a heavily-built message player intended to be used in central offices and other applications where having a prerecorded message play would be necessary (like an answer-only answering machine).

The device does appear to be in good cosmetic condition, and I was supplied the paper copies of the appropriate BSP's and CD/SD documents.
Beneath the outer cover, there is a socket for an operator's headset (which I have) to be plugged in. There were a few wires connected to the terminal block which had been cut likely when the device was taken out of service. (According to a maintenance sticker on the side, the unit had been routinely maintained through 1983). I have been using the SD-95283-01 document to determine what terminal goes where. However, I can get the device to start, but I can't seem to record or replay any audio through the headset.

Any information on how to actually wire up the device would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Will

paul-f

Welcome Will. Good to have you with us.

We like photos;  ;)

Try the TCI Library. There are also BSPs which may have more info:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=16765
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line