"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please help identify / value this phone

Started by Mr. Bones, March 21, 2014, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Hello, Wooden Phone gurus.

This phone has been for sale on Craigslist for some time, relatively near me to the south. I was hoping, if you have a moment to glance, you could assist me with identifying it, and perhaps give me a ballpark value range.

I have no idea if it has its internals, etc., and the $299.00 has kept me at least arm's length from inquiring very actively. Seems like 2X+ high, for a pig-in-a-poke, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

All '329' turned up, searching the CRPF, is that it is a transmitter model no.

" Antique Wall Box Telephone, #329, great condition, rare & unique - $299"
"Great condition for age, shows some signs of age, shelf has been repaired, bell works."

Thanks in advance, and Best Regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

329 is probably a WE or NE transmitter, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a WE or NE phone, because 329 is actually the transmitter that was used on a desk phone. Single box WE/NE wall phones with long arms usually had 250 or 350 transmitters.

Do you have any photos to share?

There are plenty of complete wood wall phones on Ebay for $100 or less.

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 21, 2014, 08:15:23 PM
Hello, Wooden Phone gurus.

This phone has been for sale on Craigslist for some time, relatively near me to the south. I was hoping, if you have a moment to glance, you could assist me with identifying it, and perhaps give me a ballpark value range.

I have no idea if it has its internals, etc., and the $299.00 has kept me at least arm's length from inquiring very actively. Seems like 2X+ high, for a pig-in-a-poke, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

All '329' turned up, searching the CRPF, is that it is a transmitter model no.

" Antique Wall Box Telephone, #329, great condition, rare & unique - $299"
"Great condition for age, shows some signs of age, shelf has been repaired, bell works."

Thanks in advance, and Best Regards!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Oops! Totally my Stupid!!! :-[

My full apology, this is the 'onliest' (Festus Haggen) (and where I growed up) picture...

Now, pic :

Best regards, and thanks!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Kellogg style transmitter arm, but could be a repro.  He says shelf has been "repaired?" It may also be a repro. If the ringer works when the generator is operated, it might be worth $75.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on March 21, 2014, 11:21:00 PM
Kellogg style transmitter arm, but could be a repro.  He says shelf has been "repaired?" It may also be a repro. If the ringer works when the generator is operated, it might be worth $75.
Thanks, David! That was my take on this one, as initially stated. Just needed some expertise for backup!'

I guess 'rare and unique' adds the other $224.00... ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

rdelius

Might be a American Electric set -note the shield shaped scar above the arm.If so the arm is the wrong one.I have passed on good wooden telephones for $100.00. This one is not worth it

Mr. Bones

Quote from: rdelius on March 22, 2014, 11:14:28 AM
Might be a American Electric set -note the shield shaped scar above the arm.If so the arm is the wrong one.I have passed on good wooden telephones for $100.00. This one is not worth it
Thanks, rdelius!

That's what I've been telling myself regarding this one. Hundred bucks? It'd already have been here at the house months ago. I have exactly Zero wooden telephones, and certainly a burning passion to get one, just don't want to get scrooged in the process. $299 buys a lot of other phones, and such.

Best regards, much appreciated!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

And anytime you see that clover-leaf shaped transmitter arm, particularly when not on a Kellogg phone, there's a good chance that it is a repro made from cheap metal.

Mr. Bones

Thanks for the tip, David!

Some of these days, I'll own me a wooden phone. Just don't want to get boned in the process!

All of your input is greatly appreciated, and I thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

What style of wooden phone are you looking for?  Common Battery?  Local battery?  Two-boxer?  Single box?  Oak or Walnut?  We may be able to narrow it down for you.  Also make sure to read this thread before buying:

Examples of Reproduction Wall Phones
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409