News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cigar Box Ringer

Started by markosjal, February 05, 2018, 04:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

So I spent some time browsing electronic parts stores for project boxes , thinking of making use of some bells as I have phones that lack internal ringers.

Unfortunately "the ultimate box" was not found .

Later while cleaning out stuff from my last trip to Vallarta I found in some things I had forgotten about. While in Vallarta, I helped a friend to clean up a condo. We found many small cigar boxes. I brought some back with me. These are Small wooden cigar boxes. WAIT , perfect size for the ringer boxes I want to make!

I got out a drill and a gloss black rattle can so fast and before the paint was dry, I had it done

Now this was a quickie and I am sure I can do better . I have MANY small cigar boxes of varying sizes to accommodate most any size bell.

On this particular one I used a bell from a styleline that I had removed but now have learned a lot about tempremental styleline ringers that I will be posting soon as well. That particular Styleline is perfectly happy with the transplanted ringer from a dead WE Princess that became a donor. Later however I did fix the styleline ringer and have it here now. The .47uf cap with handy mount, came from a cheap Japanese phone that I gutted for donor parts.

The final touches are rubber feet and maybe more holes so the box allows more sound to escape.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AE_Collector

Looks good. I always have a battle trying to get the AE Styleline Ringers to make a half decent sound so look forward to hearing any thoughts on their adjustment.

Terry

Dan/Panther

I have several high end cigar boxes my Mom gave me, when she worked at the tobacco shop at Disneyland. I never considered using one for a desk top subset. BRILLIANT idea, it will just look like a box of cigars on my desk, and make me look sophisticated.
Thanks for the GREAT idea.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 05, 2018, 12:40:21 PM
I have several high end cigar boxes my Mom gave me, when she worked at the tobacco shop at Disneyland. I never considered using one for a desk top subset. BRILLIANT idea, it will just look like a box of cigars on my desk, and make me look sophisticated.

D/P

Check the going rate for the cigar boxes on eBay for using them. They are also collectible, and some worth real money.

Pourme

You can buy wooden boxes from Hobby Lobby almost any size to use as subset boxes fairly cheap, in case you don't want to risk ruining a potently pricey cigar box. 
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

markosjal

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 05, 2018, 12:40:21 PM

D/P

Iam glad you like the idea. A desktop ringer even better!
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish