News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another New Here

Started by Konrad, January 04, 2009, 05:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konrad

Got back to rotary today with three Western Elecrics 500s I found for $5 each. C/D  500 3-66 and two  R83-5 500DM one 50-Ivory and one 60-Beige.  The reason I have the color codes is both were in the original box with new handsets still in the bag.  Both had modular handset cords one bag was open with a used cord and the other bag is still sealed with a new cord in it.  Both original cords with WE on locking tab. One had the "How to plug your phone in booklet".  Opening them up it gets interesting.  The 66 is all 66 inside with old hard wired cords.  The ivory R83-5 (I get it R = Refurbished) is 9-56 inside with a 69-9 dial, it has a blue stripper sticker on top of a yellow one on top of a white one they have no text.  The Beige R83-5 is a 2-57 inside with a trashed 5-79 dial, it has a blue stripper sticker on top of a yellow one they have no text.

1966 dials out fine, great shape, but the ringer is turned up and not working.  One R83 is like new and works perfectly with my Comcast Arris TM502G VOIP Router .  Second R83 cleaned up nice the dialer is trashed but it receives calls just fine.  The Ringer coil on the 66 was sliding back and forth on the bar.  So I borrowed the dial from the 66 and the second R83 is fully functional. I'm planning on making the 66 whole again and went on a little eBay shopping spree.

I have a Vonage V-Portal I stole on eBay coming for home as it supports rotary dial.  Comcast says you need a touch tone with the Arris but I found out the happy truth.

My Birthday is the end of January I'm thinking a restored 302.

Mark Stevens

Five-dollar 500s...I love those!  I got a couple of pre-modular 500s for $5 each a few months ago at a flea market. Of course mine didn't come with all the cool extra jazz that yours did!  302s are fun, and pretty easy to refurbish/restore. (and the forum is lousy with folk who know all about them)  Good deals can still be found on 302s, and a nice reworking can increase their value significantly.
Again... Welcome to the forum!

McHeath

Welcome Konrad!

I'm very fond of the 500 series and have a small collection.  Your 2 refurbished models with their mix and match of dates and parts if pretty common, possibly even the norm for Ma Bell.  It is deeply satisfying to me to be able to take a phone designed in the late 40's that uses that eras technology and plug it into our modern telecomm systems and it works just fine.  (This of course is true of phones going back a 100 years in the US)  My current phone on my desk is a turquoise 500 from 1966 with a 25 foot original line cord also in turquoise and a G6 handset.

Dan/Panther

Konrad;
All newbies to the forum, must send me one of their first three new phones. P.M. me and I will give you my address.
If Bill, Mark, Dennis, Ben, BDM, McHeath,Sargeguy, Dan2, Bingster, Hello Central, Hobiesport, mienaichizu, TIPandRINGT, steve, winkydink, tries to tell you otherwise, don't listen.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

welcome to the forum Konrad

winkydink

Welcome Konrad.

I am 3 month into my new hobby and loving every minute of it.  I don't have any 500's yet but give me a few weeks and I will report back.

Konrad

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 04, 2009, 07:02:52 PM
Konrad;
All newbies to the forum, must send me one of their first three new phones. P.M. me and I will give you my address.
If Bill, Mark, Dennis, Ben, BDM, McHeath,Sargeguy, Dan2, Bingster, Hello Central, Hobiesport, mienaichizu, TIPandRINGT, steve, winkydink, tries to tell you otherwise, don't listen.

D/P

Better one of my first three $5 500s than the NOS Western Electric Ivory 354 Wall Telephone 1955 I just scored on eBay fr $271  ;D

mienaichizu

so you are the one who got that wall phone

Dan/Panther

Konrad;
Congratulations on the 354 phone win. If indeed it is N.O.S. don't do anything odd to it, leave it completely as is.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Konrad

I think I'll break out my new fangled Canon 30D and taking pictures of unpacking it.

Dan

Welcome Konrad. I have a 354 hanging on my basement wall . My friends say it sounds like hell when I talk to them. I am anxious to see not only what a NOS one looks like inside, but also how it PERFORMS for you.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

There's something wrong with your phone, Dan.  Most people on the other end of a conversation will comment on how good a 302/354 will sound.  If they're hearing something that's not right, then there's really something that's not right in the phone.
= DARRIN =

Konrad

Dan,

The only proper way to test your phone is side by side with mine.  PM me for my address so you can send me your phone.

Dan

My friend says it sounds shrill and staticy--if that is even a word. Hope this helps
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

That's probably your microphone. Unscrew thw cap, and, remove mike. Tap the edges of it on a hard surface several times to loossen up the granules. That should improve it.
Otherwise, send it to me, and, I'll trade you a nice new shiny modular phone for it....  ;D

As for Dip Pan Dan Panther, I only have one thing to say about him. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!!!

Now, as for the new phone... You don't want the burden of having to take care of that. So, pm me, and, I'll give you my mailing address. You can ship it to me, and, I'll store it free of charge.
Now, isn't that nice of me????:D ;D

Welcome to our little forum, Konrad.  ;D

Bill "Honest Bill" Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."