News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1938 Ivory Diakon GPO 332 UK phone

Started by ....., January 01, 2019, 07:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I found this what I believe to be a 1938 Ivory Diakon GPO 332 UK phone on Kijiji 2 weeks ago.

I'll know better when I get it.

It looked a little rough and the information I got from the fellow is it was his father in laws phone. He was put into a senior's home and the daughter cleaned out the family home. He had this phone for over 50 years. He bought it at an antique shop in England. When he moved to Canada he brought it with him. His daughter said she could always remember it being in the family home.
I posted the pictures on a couple UK phone sites and from most of the responses I received it was thought I should buy it, so I did. I cut and paste some of the responses and information from one of the UK sites on the drawer. I had also posted a picture of the information on the underside of the handset. It's a Siemens 1936 handset. I will receive it this week. I already have 2 UK phones, a 1977 Silver Jubilee Trimphone one of a few made. Also a Black 1965 GPO 332L phone that came from Northern Ireland. So this will make a good addition to my collection.

I have already ordered reproduction Ivory Drawer front, Feet for the base and a braided Ivory handset cord. these pieces are in the UK and I'm having them sent to my brother in law's in Northern Ireland as the shipping is free in the UK. He will then repack them and put them all in one package, then send to me air mail.

Comments from the UK collectors.

Looks original but quite tatty around the cradle rest. Quite bleached but this is normal for early ones. The crested drawer is a nice bonus. If it's a 1938 as I suspect it would be a nice pre war model. The dial is a later addition if it is pre war. You will have difficulty getting a drawer strip that matches.

From the latest pictures it looks like it is a 1938 Diakon model. If the handset is marked 1938 then you should try to seal the deal. A nice early telephone war time telephone. Not the best condition but very original bar the dial. You should be able to find a GPO No 10 with a date from 1936 to 38. To make it correct. Try to find one with an enamel face.

The handset was made in 1936 but the telephone is more likely 1938. The 300 series was introduced in 1937 but much more likely 1938 using stock handsets made for 200 series from the time.

When you get it in your hands take the base off and see the date marked between the bells in the chassis. If you are very lucky it may say S37 but much more likely S38. The handset date is OK as they may have used handsets destined for a 200 series. Pre war 300 series telephones are hard to find.

LarryInMichigan

That looks very interesting.  GPO 300 series phones in any colour but black are quite rare, especially on this side of the ocean.  I am anxious to see pictures of the restored phone.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

This post prompted me to dust off one of my black GPO 300s to use on my desk.  A big issue with these GPO phones is the poor sound quality from the transmitters.  I did a quick experiment sticking an AE type 41 transmitter into the GPO 164 handset, and it actually fit and worked well without any adaptation.  This may be a viable solution for these GPO phones.

Larry

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 01, 2019, 09:48:11 AM
This post prompted me to dust off one of my black GPO 300s to use on my desk.  A big issue with these GPO phones is the poor sound quality from the transmitters.  I did a quick experiment sticking an AE type 41 transmitter into the GPO 164 handset, and it actually fit and worked well without any adaptation.  This may be a viable solution for these GPO phones.

Larry

Post some pictures of your phone Larry.

FABphones

Nice phone Duffy. It's definitely not Diakon it is Ivory 'Bakelite'. GPO written on the directory drawer makes it more valuable too as not all of them had that. Clean it with #5 polishing paste and you will get a nice finish on it. Dial looks to be a #12, originally these had a #10 but there are many many with a #12 dial so not unusual to see them on these phones (I'd need to check both dial date ranges, can't remember off the top of my head). Can't see from the pics but it looks like the retaining clip is still on the centre? Pop an older style dial card on it and it will look a treat. Could you add a photo of the underneath?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on January 01, 2019, 10:35:55 AM
Nice phone Duffy. It's definitely not Diakon it is Ivory 'Bakelite'. GPO written on the directory drawer makes it more valuable too as not all of them had that. Clean it with #5 polishing paste and you will get a nice finish on it. Dial looks to be a #12, originally these had a #10 but there are many many with a #12 dial so not unusual to see them on these phones (I'd need to check dates, can't remember off the top of my head the dial dates). Can't see from the pics but it looks like the retaining clip is still on the centre? Pop an older style dial card on it and it will look a treat.

Fab,

Can you explain the difference between Diakon and Ivory Bakelite. I was only basing it on what the other UK collectors wrote. It is in the comments I copied in the first post and on this web page.  http://www.britphones.com/portfolio-item/ivory-diakon-gpo-332/

I do have some disk cards made up, just have to print one out after I decide which one.

Added picture that was sent to me of the base and markings.

CDN Doug

tubaman

The crested drawer is a big bonus as these can sell for over £100 on their own.
I believe that drawer is 1937 and was made for the coronation of George VI.
I think that it can indeed be Diakon in this period but am happy to be corrected on that.
More photos when it arrives please!
:)

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Duffy on January 01, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Post some pictures of your phone Larry.

I thought that I had posted about this phone years ago when I got it, but I couldn't find anything.  It is too dark here now to take a good picture.  The phone is a No. 4509-D, without a tray: http://www.britishtelephones.com/stc/stc4509.htm.

Larry

FABphones

Below photo of one of mine, same model. I bought this one recently so haven't had a chance to tidy it up yet, but here it is.

I also have an ivory three button version (the first ever phone in my collection). I'll have to check the dates on them but I think mine are later than 1937/38. My three button still has it's original dialcard on it and is the last one in your dialcard photo.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

Happy New Year All  .......    Doug .....  Here's another web page from Britishtelephones.com with more information on the set you bought.    Link:     http://www.britishtelephones.com/t332.htm 

There's a reference to a version of these telephones being exported to Canada.

(Doug:  I'll be back late tomorrow night.)

Jeff

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 01, 2019, 11:30:48 AM
I thought that I had posted about this phone years ago when I got it, but I couldn't find anything.  It is too dark here now to take a good picture.  The phone is a No. 4509-D, without a tray: http://www.britishtelephones.com/stc/stc4509.htm.

Larry

Larry,

That looks just like the 1965 GPO 332L I have.

Quote from: tubaman on January 01, 2019, 11:26:40 AM
The crested drawer is a big bonus as these can sell for over £100 on their own.
I believe that drawer is 1937 and was made for the coronation of George VI.
I think that it can indeed be Diakon in this period but am happy to be corrected on that.
More photos when it arrives please!
:)

Thanks Tubaman,

Indeed I will be posting more pictures.

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 01, 2019, 11:52:26 AM
Happy New Year All  .......    Doug .....  Here's another web page from Britishtelephones.com with more information on the set you bought.    Link:     http://www.britishtelephones.com/t332.htm 

There's a reference to a version of these telephones being exported to Canada.

(Doug:  I'll be back late tomorrow night.)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Here is another page I got some of my information from.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/collect.htm

(Jeff, talk to you this week)

andy1702

It definitely isn't ivory Balelite. Because of the process involved in making bakelite it's impossible to make light colours. There was a different type of early plastic process for making early GPO ivory phones but the name of it escapes me right now. I'm not sure when diakon started to be used, but I think it was generally used for the red and green 300s. You can easily tell if it's diakon because it's extremely shiny, doesn't lose it's shine and is also very, VERY brittle. Most diakon phones that have survived have bits chipped out somewhere or at the very least a hairline crack or two.

Regarding the dial labels, the grey ones were a creation of the 1960s / 70s, so would not be right for the phone as new. They would be correct for the type of dial currently fitted though, which was probably a GPO replacement in later life. You would need to change the font for the exchange name though to make it sans-serif. The serif font is correct for the last dial label in the photo though.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

rdelius

Urea and Melamine plastics were made in  light colors and molded like Bakelite. Watch out when buying 332 sets for made in India ITI sets. Not quite the same quality as British ones and do not sell for as much. No drawer ,coiled cords rubber gromet around cord hole ,Type 24 dial instead of # 10 or #12. Logo ITI in a heart shaped shield on handset