News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Two For" ebay Find - Just Arrived

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 27, 2011, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdT

Have  any of you tried detailing clay ?,  I had great success with it for overspray and dirty contaminated surfaces.  VIM might be another good product as the abrasives are a plastic instead of silca like other scrubbing products.

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 21, 2011, 08:08:59 PM
I have found that most of the outer surface of the Uniphone bakelite shell is rough like it has been corroded somehow.  I don't recall ever seeing bakelite like this.  I am having to sand the shell to make it smooth.

Larry
Larry...I have seen bakelite get course on a WE F1 receiver cap only. It gets the consistency of an orange peel. Once they get like that, I toss them. I have never been able to get them anywhere close to the way they should be. Its funny, but on on a WE F1 receiver cap. I have never heard an explanation for this...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

I have seen plenty of receiver caps like you describe.  I assume that the problem is caused somehow by the physical contact with the ear (skin oil and/or ear wax).  The surface of the Uniphone shell is somewhat like that, but not nearly as bad.  I am wondering if it was exposed to some substance which caused a chemical reaction.  The base plate and internal parts look normal though.  The roughness is coming off with Micro-Mesh sanding.  The next time I can stop at a hardware store, I plan to look for right steel wool.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...good news.....try a medium steel wool on it....nice phones at a great price....Doug
Kidphone