News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4-32 screw

Started by wds, March 19, 2012, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Does anyone know of a source for a 4-32 screw?  Any length from 1/4" to 1/2" is fine. 
Dave

Bill

That's another odd size! When I needed some 4-36 dial screws (also an odd size), I got them from Copper State Nut and Bolt. They have several stores in the west (AZ, CO, NV, NM, TX). Where are you located? If these aren't handy, you will likely need to find a similar specialty store. I don't think any conventional retail hardware-type store will have what you need.

Bill

wds

They are definitely 4-32.  They were used a lot on the very old phones, candlesticks, but they stopped making the screw in the 50's.  I found the nuts, but haven't had much luck locating the screws.  I have another transmitter that uses a 4-48 screw.  Another hard one to find.
Dave

Doug Rose

Kidphone

wds

no luck.  6-32, 8-32, 10-32 are still common threads.  That 4-32 is being very evasive. 
Dave

dpaynter1066

if you are talking about the screws that hold the transmitter to the cup in a candlestick or wood wall phone I have gotten them from Phonecoinc  and I think ive seen them available from oldphoneworks as "transmitter screws".

I would not tap it out to the standard 4-40 which is the usual practice in non-collectable circumstances.

Call mary or ron at phonecoinc and ask if they still have them available.

wds

I've contacted both places already.  All the screws on this one are 4-32.  The screws that hold the transmitter to the cup, the terminal screws, screws for the damper spring, and the screws that hold the bridge to the faceplate.  I have no intentions of trying to re-thread the holes - most of them can't be re-threaded as there isn't enough room to run a tap all the way through the hole - dead end holes.   Sooner or later I'm sure I'll find the screws.  I would prefer the sooner!
Dave

dpaynter1066

might be easier to just buy another transmitter head and either rob the screws or bolt it on in that case, although it kills me when I have to do that.  You can always sell the leftovers  to someone else as a parts unit.

wds

I think that's what the guy I bought this from did to me - he stripped off the parts he wanted to keep, then sold the left overs.  Of course the seller didn't disclose all the missing screws when he sold it.  Almost every screw is missing.
Dave

Bill

On a clock-collector's forum, I saw reference to Accurate Industiral in Chicago as a supplier of 4-32 machien screws.

Bill

dpaynter1066

It's not found in their online catalog search but he may want to try calling them direct and see if they have any new old stocks of them unlisted.  Lots of times if places dont have a lot of boxes or just remmnants of something its not advertised

wds

I had contacted a clock club a couple days ago and was given Accurate Industrial to contact.  Accurate just responded a few minutes ago, and they do have them in stock.  Now I'm waiting to see how much they want for the screws.  I've looked all over the county, so I was happy to locate these screws.  I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the last of the stock.  When they're gone, they're gone.  I will grab as many as I can afford for future projects.  Here's an email address for Accurate for future reference.

ACCURATE INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY CO., INC.
6647 W. 99TH ST.
CHICAGO RIDGE, IL 60415
708-422-7050
708-422-7442 FAX
jim@accuratebolts.com
Dave

dpaynter1066

I'd definitely be interested in how much they are selling them for.

wds

Still working on pricing.  This company only sells to dealers, like Zettlers in large quantity.  He quoted me a couple prices for qty 1000, but I'm trying to get him to give me a price for a much smaller qty. 
Dave

Russ Kirk

Quote from: wds on March 21, 2012, 03:51:40 PM
Still working on pricing.  This company only sells to dealers, like Zettlers in large quantity.  He quoted me a couple prices for qty 1000, but I'm trying to get him to give me a price for a much smaller qty. 
maybe some here would like to get some,  maybe if you but too much you can sell some here.  I'll take some,  but nowhere near 1000.  maybe 10-25
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI