News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a 502??

Started by Doug Rose, April 18, 2018, 12:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Everything dated 4 57 including handset elements. I followed the line cord and brought DT to pos 1 and 2 Under the dial!! Everything works but there is no transmission!!

This is in great shape with original handset cord which is thick and in really nice shape. I don't want to swap it unless I have to. 

Really strange terminal bar under the dial and an extra pile up over the ringer.

What is a 502?? Do you think the handset cord is culprit. I think it is the extra pileup, but only a guess. I can't see it doing anything.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

502: pull up the plunger to exclude other phones on the same line. Handset appears to be connected directly to GN, B, and R on the network, just like a 500.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....I rechecked and there is a pull up plunger. How should the handset be wired?..thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I believe just as it is. The exclusion switch just makes other sets on the same line not work. Providing they are wired thought the switch.
If you're not getting dial tone, some diagnostic work has to happen to find what part of the circuit is open, or if the handset receiver is working properly.
You could try getting another 500 set and try the u1 receiver in the other set, if it works, you need to move on.
Another is to connect the line directly to term C and the other to try RR. That by passes the switch hook and powers the network direct. If everything works, except the dial breaking dial tone, move the lead from RR to F and the fail should break the dial tone. Then it boils down to the hook switch.
I'd have to pull out my bsps to see what wires are changed in the 502 versus 500.
KEN

Doug Rose

It's working, but the exclusion plunger does nothing. I cannot find a diagram for 502 in the TCI library so I'll try it another day. David said it wasn't wired for a 502. The Hanset cord has static, so it will have to be replaced. Still a very cool phone that I have never seen.  Thanks for your input.....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

the exclusion switch won't do anything unless there is another phone connected to it... If I remember correctly, there should be a pair: R/S and G/S (red/Slt and Grn/Slt) that is the excluded line out.... hook another phone to these leads and then the exclusion feature will work.... I had 2 of these once.... nice phone if you don't like someone picking up in the middle of your conversation.....
John

HarrySmith

I don't see what the plunger will operate. Is there a switch it contacts? Maybe a picture from the side or the front will give a better view of what's there?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

The plunger will sit in the second pileup.  It is now wired as a 500 set and bi passing the second pileup and the plunger....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

The 502 should work as wired -- regardless of whether the exclusion switch is operated or not. I only meant that the handset is not in series with the exclusion switch: this is correct for either a 500 or 502.

If you connect other phones on the line to E1 and E2, then those extensions will work all the time unless the plunger is pulled up.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Got it! .....thanks David and everyone else for their help........Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

The phone line would likely head back out of the 502 on a second pair feeding the other phones. Pull up the exclusion button would cut this part of the circuit removing the line from the other extensions. That's my take on it at least

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 18, 2018, 01:41:52 PM
I cannot find a diagram for 502 in the TCI library so I'll try it another day.

Wiring diagrams for WE sets are included in many BSPs.

They can be located by finding a BSP number in the appropriate division index document. For many station sets, the index BSPs are:

502-000-000
  503-000-000

Once you have the BSP number, enter it in the TCI Library's search box.

To save some effort, I've collected some BSP references in the charts on my site.

For the 502, look here:
   http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#502
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

I finished the 502 today/ All dates are 4 57 except the coil which is 2 57. Both cords had the insulation fraying so they had to be changed.Such a cool phone.....Doug
Kidphone