"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Radio and Telephone Bakelite Desk set

Started by markosjal, February 23, 2018, 04:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I am looking at this page here
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-613458349-antiguo-telefono-de-baquelita-restauracion-o-decoracion-_JM
580 Pesos is less than 30 US Dollars

This is branded Federal Radio and Telephone

My concern is the dial in this condition seems to have been forced backwards or maybe someone knows something about these dials that I do not? If it is not an SC or NT dial it may be impossible to get parts should it need any.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

rdelius

Dial might have a broken mainspring.Standard US dial will not fit

dsk

The ad states it is made in the US, so it may be equal to an AE dial? Looks like an 302 for me, is it a copy of a 302.  Or is this only "stupid" questions from a Norwegian???

Jim Stettler

Federal made a  set that does look like a WE 302.
There may of been a clear Federal set made as well. I know of  a clear federal handset.
The attached photo is the phone that I mention.
If the housing isn't  a WE 302 then it is probably a clear federal set.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

The Federal sets might look like a 302 but almost no parts will interchange.That dial for example has more in common with the dials in Norway than the US.I think Standard had helped with the design. These sets were exported to Latin Amercia and possible Lend Lease sets  also.Federal was part of ITT which owned the Cuban Telephone co

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on February 23, 2018, 09:06:50 PM
The Federal sets might look like a 302 but almost no parts will interchange.That dial for example has more in common with the dials in Norway than the US.I think Standard had helped with the design. These sets were exported to Latin Amercia and possible Lend Lease sets  also.Federal was part of ITT which owned the Cuban Telephone co
Do you know if the housings of a 302 and a federal set will interchange?
Are there any external markings on a federal 302 style set?
Thanks,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

Nothing will interchange.Most of the Federal sets were built as modules that the ringer etc plugged into -similar the the Kellogg 1000 sets but possibly  earlier.I think developed right before ww2 by Standard Electric in Europe.No markings on the housing but the handset was marked Federal Telephone and Radio. in a Hawthorn? fount like WE.My federal set came out of Cuba and had some Soviet parts  installed

Doug Rose

Kidphone

rdelius

Dial might fit or not. Some have US mounting holes and others  do not

markosjal

Quote from: rdelius on February 23, 2018, 09:06:50 PM
...Federal was part of ITT which owned the Cuban Telephone co

I thought ITT was Puerto Rican?

markosjal

Doug Rose