News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Decode the perch codes

Started by HowardPgh, December 25, 2012, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I do not know if this subject has been covered before.  I have a group of W.E. deskstands (candlestick) phones, most are black and appear to be the same. The stamping on the perches are different.
Here are the codes;
20 AL
20 BE
20 SC
20 BC (Nickel)
20 B (Old style perch)
50 AL (Dial), 51 AL (Dial), 151 Al (Dial/Antisidetone)
These are what I have, I know there are more, and what makes the difference in codes?  I have had these phones for a long time and I don't think they are totally OEM anymore.  Howard
Howard

Sargeguy

I have been meaning to do this for a while, especially for the early perches.  I have not been able to add to what has been already compiled.  Here is a link to a list from Wistful Vista Telephone Co:

http://www.oldtimephones.com/perchmarkings.html

There is more info in back issues of TCI.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I started a topic on this subject and stickyed it to the top of the page
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

Sargeguy-
I saw that-Nice Work!!
Howard

Howard

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have completed the list of known perch markings.  I have not filled in the details.  If anyone can add to it, pl,ease feel free to do so.  I am fairly sure that I am missing some of the solid perch Interphones, and maybe some later railroad apparatus.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

Sargeguy-
Could it be assumed that most of the later ones would have 144 type receivers?  706s are from the 1930s era and not original to most of these types of phone.
Howard
Howard

Sargeguy

Yes.  I'm not sure exactly when the change from 143 to 144 took place but I think it was around the time dial candlesticks were introduced although they were available earlier with the 40-AL (I think).  Keep in mind that manual candlesticks were produced for a time after the dial candlestick was introduced, eventually being replaced by apparatus blanks dial sticks.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Sargeguy,
    First..Thanks for all the info you have provided.
  Thought I'd throw in my inventory of candlestick perches , but keep in mind that many I have are from C.O. equipment or very early W.E. radio gear.
20AB  (20AL X'D out)
20AL
20AM
20AS
20BC
20B
20CN
20DA
20C
20P
20PC
20SC
41CJ
*2AB
46B
SP20R
6A  (hand held no base- knurled bottom)

Maybe you could help fill some of the gaps....
      Have quite a few more will add that info when I get a chance.
   Andy F   K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

HowardPgh

Sargeguy-
I think the difference between 144 and 143 is the type of material they are made of. Also does the little ridge around the cord hole mean the receiver is a 143?
I read about the material difference in an old WE catalog posted in the TCI.
143 is composition and 144 is hard rubber.  Is composition bakelite?  I think the hard rubber ones are the ones that discolor.
Howard
Howard

K1WI

Sargeguy,
   Found another perch code , appaers to be 48D , from a short stemmed scissor bracketed phone.  I also noticed I have two more SP20R perched right in front of my face in my "radio shack" on two pipe mouny operator position phones . Both have a label 1060AH inside stem.

Again Thanks,
         Andy F  K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

Sargeguy

So that's what a SP-20_R is supposed to look like!  I had one that I sold a while ago, but it had a normal hookswitch and base.  What do you call that hook and what kind # receiver is that?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Quote from: K1WI on January 17, 2013, 09:37:43 PM
   Sargeguy,
   Found another perch code , appaers to be 48D , from a short stemmed scissor bracketed phone.  I also noticed I have two more SP20R perched right in front of my face in my "radio shack" on two pipe mouny operator position phones . Both have a label 1060AH inside stem.

Again Thanks,
         Andy F  K1WI

i recognize the ARRL ham band chart on the wall.

KD7PTG
-Bill G

K1WI

Bulletin 2
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Howard is correcct about receiver types , Difference is in materials and price.
Andy F    K1WI