"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT/NT 564 Buzzer Connections?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 29, 2014, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I was working on a green NT/ITT 564 (bad print) and I was trying to add a buzzer. The only issue is I tried hooking it up to the white/orange pairs, but that did not work. So, I talked to a friend and he said to hook it up to the yellow/orange pair, which is no where to be seen.

I could not find a wiring diagram in the TCI library.. Does anyone know the correct way to hook up the buzzer?

Thank you,

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Also, the 25 pair cable isn't completely 'pinned out.'

poplar1

White-orange is the A-lead for the first line. Orange-white is the A1 lead for all lines.

ITT used yellow-orange pair for buzzers.
WE used yellow-green pair for 10V Buzzers in 6-button sets. May have been yellow-orange for 18V buzzers in older sets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Interesting... On all my WE phones I use white-orange.

Still looking for the orange-yellow leads.

Ben

poplar1

Do you have anything connected to terminals 1H and 1B? This should be where the white-orange and orange-white connect. 1H (W-O) is the A lead for line 1, and 1B (O-W) is the A1 lead for every line.

So if you are removing white-orange (A lead) from terminal 1H and orange-white (A1 lead) from 1B, you won't have any holding function on any line. Or if you are connecting the buzzer on top of the W-O and O-W on 1H and 1B, I don't see how either the buzzer or the holding would work.

In a WE 564HK or HL or HLM, the buzzer (Y-G/G-Y) connects to terminals 3 and 4.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 29, 2014, 10:00:41 PM
Interesting... On all my WE phones I use white-orange.

Still looking for the orange-yellow leads.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2014, 10:16:55 PMDo you have anything connected to terminals 1H and 1B? This should be where the white-orange and orange-white connect. 1H (W-O) is the A lead for line 1, and 1B (O-W) is the A1 lead for every line.

On 1B I have a gray-slate (i think) and the white orange. On 1H I have the white orange.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2014, 10:16:55 PM

So if you are removing white-orange (A lead) from terminal 1H and orange-white (A1 lead) from 1B, you won't have any holding function on any line. Or if you are connecting the buzzer on top of the W-O and O-W on 1H and 1B, I don't see how either the buzzer or the holding would work.

In a WE 564HK or HL or HLM, the buzzer (Y-G/G-Y) connects to terminals 3 and 4.

I cannot answer that question, I think my KSU is wired 'funkily.'

Ben

poplar1

So if your 25-pair cable is punched down inside the shoe box KSU, starting at the top, do you not have W-B, B-W, W-O, O-W, W-G, G-W--which are the three pairs for the first line?

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 29, 2014, 10:22:35 PM

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2014, 10:16:55 PMDo you have anything connected to terminals 1H and 1B? This should be where the white-orange and orange-white connect. 1H (W-O) is the A lead for line 1, and 1B (O-W) is the A1 lead for every line.

On 1B I have a gray-slate (i think) and the white orange. On 1H I have the white orange.

In a WE set, 1B should have Orange-White from the mounting cord and yellow [ or slate-white on older phone] hook switch lead.

1H should have only the White-orange mtg. cord lead.

WesternElectricBen

Inside a working ITT phone, (564) on:

1B:  white-orange, and a slate-(darker) slate
1H: white-orange.

I also noticed that phone actually had the yellow-orange pairs, which seem to be absent in my other sets.

-------------------------------

The 25 pair cables are punched down onto 66 blocks.

I have it wired:

w-b
w-o
w-g
w-b
w-s.

I hope that helps,
Ben

keysys

Ben:

I'm looking at BSP 502-541-406.

Figure #1 shows that a 564 won't have a 25-pair mounting cord.  It would have a D30B mounting cord (30 conductors or 15 pairs) or a D34B mounting cord (34 conductors or 17 pairs), so you may not see any yellow pairs, or less than a full complement of yellow pairs.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: keysys on June 29, 2014, 11:24:47 PM
Ben:

I'm looking at BSP 502-541-406.

Figure #1 shows that a 564 won't have a 25-pair mounting cord.  It would have a D30B mounting cord (30 conductors or 15 pairs) or a D34B mounting cord (34 conductors or 17 pairs), so you may not see any yellow pairs, or less than a full complement of yellow pairs.

I think your right on, as not all the pins in the connector are present. Now I'm wondering if I can figure a way to rig up a buzzer to work.

Ben

Babybearjs

Ben, check your numbered terminals.... 1, 2, 3, etc.  the buzzer connection is normally on the LEFT side of the terminal board.... since your phone has a 17 pair cord, you may need to look for any SPARE leads.... most of the time they get taped and stored... I had to pull a cord because of this issue... because it didn't have enough wires for all the accessories...
John

WesternElectricBen

John,

There are no buzzer connections on 1-4, but there are some extra leads.

white-slate taped to red-green             and           black-blue taped to black-brown.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

I found this on pg. 191 from Paul's source, it says to hook up one lead to RT and RR and theoretically it should work.

I tried that, it didn't keep the line one light on, but it did nothing.

Ben