News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

50 AL wiring of switch hook

Started by TallahasseeTom, February 08, 2015, 08:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallahasseeTom

having some trouble with this old switch hook, not complete, missing some screws but used some I could find.
Still, first attempt did not work.  534, receiver, and dial all wired correctly. Suspect problems on that switch hook and apparently the newer repros are for
the 151?

Thanks

Phonesrfun

I think we will need a little more information to give you any help.  How about some photos of the switch.  Other symptoms?
-Bill G

G-Man

As Bill has stated it is difficult to know what the problem is without a more detailed description and/or photos. However, see if this wiring diagram will be of assistance.

TallahasseeTom

Thank you very much for your input. I will attack that problem at the end of the week. After the initial attempt I realized I did not have long enough wires for the transmitter to the hook switch.  I have several transmitters, some I will go ahead and sell. One is a Bulldog that has original wires attached but these are too short to reach the necessary spot, they appear only 4-5" long. For correctness sake, was the Bulldog used on the 50 or 51AL or did it not appear until the 151? My 151 has a Bulldog and I have some original stuff I can use that appears to be for the 50 or 51.

I am not a purist on the whole thing but keeping it close to correct would be good as everything else is in good shape. :)

I do have one wire about 8" long. I guess I could use a 3 wire harness I have and just not use one of the wires, cutting if off. Any suggestions for the correct wire from Transmitter to hook switch are appreciated and thank you.

poplar1

The single conductor transmitter cords were coded 547B and for the 50AL measure 9 7/8 inches, not including the metal tips (WE Catalog #5, 1923). The 547-type cords were also available in other lengths for other models.

The 635A "bulldog" transmitter was used when repairing, remanufacturing, or converting (to 151AL for example) desk stands starting around 1937.  So while you may find bulldog transmitters on 50 ALs or 51 ALs, when originally manufactured (c. 1920-1930), they had the older 323 or 337 transmitters.

I would save the 3-conductor "harness" (820 or D3B) for a 51-AL.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.