News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

50's WE500 not dialing or ringing

Started by benkeys, July 10, 2012, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I literally just got my 500 not even 2 hours ago. I got it hooked up and had a dial tone then attempted to see if it would ring, well it wouldnt. So i opened it up and the ringer was across L2 and K, I moved it from K to L1 and still no ring. Then i tried to dial out, no matter which number i started with it wouldnt take. Is this going to be a simple fix by moving wires around, or should i tell the seller that it is not operational and  either get my money back or his much nicer 500 fir the same price?
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

G-Man

OK, the first problem.... your ringer should have four wires that should be connected to A, K, L1, L2.

Next, what type of telephone service do you have; Traditional (POTS), VoIP, U-Verse, FIOS?

POTS will support rotary dialing while some of the others may or may not, so let us know and we can proceed from there.

benkeys

I have time warner digital phone. It supports rotory, as i have a '72 SC 554 hooked up. I cant tell where the other wires are hooked, but the ringer i could deal with as i re wired the ringer on my 554 with help from guys on here. My concern is mainly the dialing. I'm ready to send a message to the seller.. bc i really didnt spend 22.00 and not have a phone work.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

G-Man

Before you contact the seller, move the wire back to their original terminals. You may have bridged one of the ringer windings across the line terminals without the benefit of a capacitor which is what A and K are connected to.

If the line is bridged, then you would not be able to break dial-tone when dialing.

If you still experience dialing problems, another expedient would be to use the wiring in your 554 as a guide.

Phonesrfun

How about a couple of photos of the wiring inside the phone?  Those often help put a lot!  A picture is worth a thousand words.
-Bill G

benkeys

I have the ringer between A and K and L1 and L2.(slate/slate red on A-K and red and black on L1 and L2) I'm using the yellow wire in  place of the green wire bc the terminal on the end was corroded and broke.  It still will not break the dial tone. It is a 1955 04A ringer.

Phonesrfun

The photos are helpful.  They tell me that as far as I can tell, your phone is wired correctly, and that alone saves a lot of back and forth discussion.

Your ringer wiring should be good the way it is.   Your last post did not say whether the ringer was now working or not, but I am assuming it is still not.

There is one thing that could cause both the ringer to not ring and to not be able to break dial tone.  That would be a shorted capacitor between A and K.  The thing is, that would also cause you to not be able to hang up the phone either.  Hanging it up would not reset the phone line.

But it's worth a try to see.... disconnect either the A or K wire.  Doesn't matter which, and see if that solves the dialing problem.  Whether it does or does not, we can go from there.  These things are often a matter of starting at one place and eliminating things.

Next step will be to check the pusling contacts on the back of the dial.
-Bill G

benkeys

I disconnected K, and it does not solve the problem. On my 554, it had external cap and i had to remove it to make it ring,but never had a dial problem.

LarryInMichigan

What happens when you try to dial?

Larry

benkeys

When i dial, it does not register. I just get the dial tone after the resets.

LM Ericsson

What you need to do is disconnect the yellow and green wires of the line cord. Take the green wire and connect to terminal L1 and put the yellow wire on the L1 terminal. It should definitely work.
Regards,
-Grayson

benkeys

what difference does it make to what color wires i use? the yellow wire was not in use so i am using it in place of the green wire, due to the terminal on the plug end breaking. I'm not even using the 4 prong connector. I am using a modular plug with screws on the back of it.

poplar1

If you remove the dial wire from RR then this should remove dial tone. If this is the case, then the dial is not pulsing, i.e., the contacts that should open 10 times a second for zero, 7 times a second for 7, etc, are not opening.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

I did that while looking at a schematic along with removing wires from the F terminal which removed the dial tone also.  Except, on the schematic it only showed 1 wire on the F terminal, and i have 2. Both wires on the F terminal removed the dial tone. Is this phone repairable with out changing the dial?

poplar1

There should be two wires (blue dial wire and white hookswitch wire) on F and one (green dial wire) on RR. Can you look at the contacts while the dial is returning to normal (from being wound up) and see that they are opening and closing, or not? The contacts connected to the green and blue wires open the same number of times as the number dialed; the contacts connected to the white wires close during the entire dial operation.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.