News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Haf's telephone collection

Started by Haf, February 24, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

The 1932 Kellogg catalog #9 shows a similar dial-type wall phone coded F803 on page 40. The dial was not furnished by Kellogg. Rather, the F803 "is provided with a standard dial adapter which will mount any standard dial."

The 1923 catalog number 6 doesn't show any dial phones. The 1926 catalog #7 shows sets with Kellogg's own dials.

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jfrutschy

Love the type 21's.  Nice collection.  I will have a extra transmitter after my project is completed.  Once it has arrived I can photograph it and send you pix.  I just purchased one from oldphoneworks.  The cup was $39, the mount was $35, they charged me$10 for the connecting rod.  I had two ae transmitter face plates. 

You seen mine got three more.  Had to send it to Steve Hilz, it works beautifully.  The next is a stock restore.  Almost complete. 

jfrutschy

Hey Haf,

I have had a very hard time finding the hook for these models.  Wouldn't happen to have a extra one for sale.  My first was lost by the powder coating company.  Been scrambling ever since.

After looking closer at your pix, you only need the face plate for the transmitter? 

Haf

poplar1: Take a look at 1941 Cat 10, part 2, there you have the  817 phone (mine is clearly marked 817 BAS, see pic). As far as I looked nothing especially about used dials in this catalogue.

jfrutschy: I'm sorry, no spare hook :( And I'm in need of a transmitter faceplate (without cone, already bought one) or bulldog transmitter and receiver cap and diaphragm. I recently bought one on ebay, but it's the wrong one, it's American Automatic Telephone Co, Urbana Ohio (don't actually not much about that company), not Automatic Electric. If anybody wants to swop, I would be pleased.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

some more phones :)

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

Haf

Thx dsk :)

and another one, my first COCOT, with an Ernest ETX board, arrived yesterday.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

And two more- a nice AE 120b and my first WE 1C1 rotary single slot :)
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

ESalter

AE_Collector

Is that the 120B with the Protel board Haf? Can you show pictures of the inside?

Terry

dsk

I like it, but I still dont have a clue about payphones.
The design are much cleaner than a 3 slot.

dsk

Haf

dsk; About design, many people all over the world think American design is just big swanker and  fussy, true many times, indeed. But they often forget about designers like Raymond Loewy, Henry Dreyfuss or Norman Bel Geddes, just to list a few.
To me the early single slot payphone is a good example for classic stright-line well arranged industrial design. Proportional distribution of height and width and likely symmetric with the handset right in the center.  Louis Sullivan's Form follows function peak of perfection but with right enough chrome to make them look typically USA :) Compared to US single slots German Payphones are highly sophisticated ungainly gray boxes :)

AE_Collector; Yes, that's the one with with the Protel XK 7000C chassis. I made some pictures to compare original AE 120B (Second generation, rectangular buttons with diagonal letters) dumb board out of service from El Paso IL, original late version AE 120B converted to the Protel chassis and a typical AE/WE style COCOT phone.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AE_Collector

Good Pictures Haf!

The one on the left is "All AE" as I remember them at least.

The middle one looks completely AE120B on the outside but not inside. The Switch-Hook/Dial Assembly has been replaced with a Protel Version as has the "Chassis" (Main PCB). Everything else is inside looks AE. Being that it is marked Verizon I guess it was an upgraded AE120B used in the previously GTE area once GTE and Bell Atlantic had Merged to form Verizon.

On the Right, I don't know much about Earnest Telecom Payphones but am surprised that it too has the normal looking AE type COin Acceptor, trigger Switch, Coin Relay/Hopper Assembly and Coin Return Chute.

All three of these Payphones appear to have the same Coin Handling Equipment which operates as follows:

The "Coin Acceptor" is the Beige plastic thing where your coins first are deposited into. It determines if they are real coins of 5, 10 or 25 cent value and is able to test for several types of "slugs" as well as having a knife edge that cuts threads attached to small holes drilled into coins in order to pull them back out after being accepted. There is nothing electical in the Coin Acceptor.

The Trigger Switch is quite small and sits immediately below where the coins fall through the acceptor IF they have been accepted. They fal through in individual slots depending if they are a 5, 10 or 25 cent coin and the trigger switch simply tells the main chassin board what coin value it saw via a contact closure. It has a 4 conductor plug, a common and one each for 5, 10 and 25 cent value.

The Coin Relay/Hopper Assembly is right below the trigger switch. The hopper is mechanical with the electro-mechanical COin Relay mounted on the front surface of the hopper. The coins are held in the hopper and or directed to the coin return or coin box from there by operation of the Coin Relay. The COin Relay has a 3 conductor lead/plug. The relay in the Earnest looks as though thore may be only two conductors in the 3 conductor plug. Some later versions of these phones had relays that did not operate from CO Collect/Refund voltage but were very low voltage operated from the Payphone Chassis. This could be one of them.

And finally the clear plastic coin chute for coins rejected by the COin Acceptor sits between the forward lower edge of the COin Acceptor and the COin Return of the Payphone. It firects coins leaving the "coin acceptor" directly into the coin return.

Terry

Haf

After a while being very busy here's something new from me and my phones :)
The first thing, I started some research and examined all layers of paint from this house to recover the very first one from 1908 when the house was build. So after repainting the wall in the original color pattern the transformation started back to first half of the last century, I'm really pleased how the result turned out. Changed all light switches to the old type Bakelite turn-switches too. Of course I had to change the phone in the hall of the first floor as a single slot then looked like a mystery thing from somewhere in the future :)
As I don't have and cannot afford an original two piece pay station from the 1930's at the moment so I had to find something coming close and bought my first 1952 AE 66 C with the rare metal dial shroud. Got it on ebay from John Andrews and was very pleased with the phone and the transaction itself. Oh, please excuse the "wrong" 178A backboard - will change that as soon as possible.
On the third floor, the former servant floor I did some change back to original state too but there I put a single slot phone. The special thing to this phone is- it is virtually located in the 914 area code with VoIP and the sign above the phone is true, you can call everywhere continental USA $1 for three minutes :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

:D We could really be a good team.
I like to fettle, and get the old phones working, and you make them shiny, and finds so right spots to display them.

I have given up to to make my wife willing to display phones all over :( 

On the other hand, she has many good sides, I just always want a little more  8)

dsk