News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Garage sale finds

Started by Gilas, April 08, 2013, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

Well they had a "county wide garage sale" here the other day so I decided to stop in early and see what I could find.  Not a lot there phone wise but I was able to get a couple items for what I think was a fair deal.  I ended up paying $60 for the pair.  The dial card is a bit unique, at least compared to the others that I have.  It's almost raised and a piece of paper then slides down in the back through the openings where the slits are.

Can I get some of you candlestick expects to tell me more about this one as well.  I know it's marked 20AL and that the bulldog came along later in life to it.  Also if I remember right the 20AL were all painted black so I have some painting to do. 
Mike

tell302man

Nice deal!!! Western Electric candlestick is worth that much!

poplar1

The candlestick would normally be black, and marked 50AL, 51AL, or 151AL if it has the hole for a dial. This one may have been put together from parts. If the hookswitch has 3 leaves and five terminals, then that is a 20AL hookswitch. It can still be used, though.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

I figured that the stick was probably for the 151 since it had the hole in it but wasn't sure.  Still learning alot.  I checked the hookswitch and it has the 3 leaves and 5 terminals.  Maybe as I get more I can start pieces the right parts together to make a couple complete ones but for the price I figured why not. Thanks for the help Poplar1

southernphoneman

Quote from: Gilas on April 08, 2013, 04:31:35 PM
Well they had a "county wide garage sale" here the other day so I decided to stop in early and see what I could find.  Not a lot there phone wise but I was able to get a couple items for what I think was a fair deal.  I ended up paying $60 for the pair.  The dial card is a bit unique, at least compared to the others that I have.  It's almost raised and a piece of paper then slides down in the back through the openings where the slits are.

Can I get some of you candlestick expects to tell me more about this one as well.  I know it's marked 20AL and that the bulldog came along later in life to it.  Also if I remember right the 20AL were all painted black so I have some painting to do. 
Mike
I got this trick about painting from fellow forum member dan/panther, and as far as painting the 202 is concerned, I did it and it works very well. what I did is of course prep my 202 for painting and by the way I removed all guts. I painted 4 coats on the finger wheel and the base of the 202. after the last coat was painted on I had a pre heated 125 degree oven and I put it in on a cookie sheet with tin foil for a half hour. after I took it out I let it cool for a while. well I will tell you that dans trick really worked. it might be worth a try. check out my collection photos to see the photo of what it looks like now.

John S

Very cool!!!!!!!!
Those are very nice phones....

John

Sargeguy

Nice find.  That dial card is one of the more sought after types.  It would have had the exchange at the top (usually double sided with another exchange on the other side) and little number tabs on sheets that you would insert below.  They were white on black.  

I usually bake my brass phones at 400 for 2 hours between coats.  I have an extra base for a 20-AL languishing in the parts bin. It needs work but will be suitable for painting after a little sanding. LMK if you are interested, just pay for postage and it's yours.  Of course you will need a black 329 as well.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409