News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just another D1 with E1 and wooden box.

Started by Greg G., February 05, 2013, 09:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

On the way back from getting a haircut, I stopped at an antique store and found a beige AE 80 with no ringer, but I wasn't too interested in it.  As I strolled towards the door, the friendly owner asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for, said yes, vintage phones.  His wife who was behind the counter pointed out one of those cheesy replicas with the buttons in a circle and one of those 70s-era "French phones", but I explained to her they're not antiques, only replicas.  The owner then brought out a no-dial D1 with an E1 handset and box.  I say "box" because I'm not sure it's a subset anymore, looks like it was gutted and set up using a more modern ringer.  Plus I've never seen one with only one gong.  Both pieces for $45, minus 10% sale price, plus tax came to $44.35.  Well, gee, isn't that just like the governor to spoil a good sale!

My questions are: 

1.  What ringer is that (the more modern one)?
2.  Isn't there more electronics needed for the phone to function?
3.  Problems with the box (besides a broken corner) are the ringer coil wires are detached.  Can they be soldered back in place to use the original ringer?

Not sure if the handset will be useable.  The cups were stuck to the outer part of the receiver and transmitter.  Not even those E1 handset tools would get them off.  They're being treated with Liquid Wrench at the moment, but my experience with E1s when they are stuck that bad is they're usually a lost cause.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

The single gong ringer looks authentic from here.  Which wires are detached?  The ringer inside the box is a late version of a C4A, the type that was used in 500/1500/2500 series phones.

According to the diagram, the box should contain an induction coil and condenser.

I would try the hair dryer method on the stuck handset caps.  I have never found an E1 whose caps I couldn't remove with some effort.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 05, 2013, 10:20:08 PM
Which wires are detached? 

Larry

The ones on the original ringer:
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I forget the designation for that subset, but it is fairly uncommon.  I have seen complete sets go for $75-100 if memory serves.  You should be able to restore it with the electronics from another subset.  The ringer is the hardest part to find.  I use the oven on 175 (Fahrenheit) and strap wrench method on my E-1s, that way you needn't hold the hair-dryer all that time.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 05, 2013, 11:34:02 PM
I forget the designation for that subset, but it is fairly uncommon.  I have seen complete sets go for $75-100 if memory serves.  You should be able to restore it with the electronics from another subset.  The ringer is the hardest part to find.  I use the oven on 175 (Fahrenheit) and strap wrench method on my E-1s, that way you needn't hold the hair-dryer all that time.

The back of the box says 273-F.  The original ringer is there, just a couple of wires loose.  The box has a broken corner though.  If I was handy at wood-working I would try to repair it, but I'm not.  How long do you leave the handset parts in the oven?  
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I leave them in for 10 minutes, t6hen I try loosening them, then put them in for another 10. etc  until it comes loose.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 06, 2013, 06:49:28 AM
I leave them in for 10 minutes, t6hen I try loosening them, then put them in for another 10. etc  until it comes loose.

That worked on the receiver cap after a second 10-minute bake.  Working on the transmitter spit cup now.
- Mike Row
e

HowardPgh

Is that original subset ringer a DC ringer, possibly for an intercom?
Howard
Howard

LarryInMichigan

The ringer is not DC.  The old ringer wires should be easy to resolder to the contacts. 

Larry

Doug Rose

Greg...I picked up one a few years ago. They certainly are different. I think I can put my hands on a coil and condenser that will fit your box. I have them .....somewhere  ???....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2997.0
Kidphone

Sargeguy

If you don't have one, I may.  Depends what the numbers are.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 06, 2013, 07:58:39 PM
Greg...I picked up one a few years ago. They certainly are different. I think I can put my hands on a coil and condenser that will fit your box. I have them .....somewhere  ???....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2997.0

That would be great if you had the parts.  This would make the first 202 I have with an actual wooden ringer box that wasn't a magneto in it's previous life.  I have one other that came with a magneto wooden box, but not sure if any of those parts would work.  I've never done anything with it, I hooked up the 202 to a converted 302 subset.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Greg...I'll give a look this weekend. Nothing to do as we are going to get hammered with snow in Boston...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409