News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 04:39:45 PM
I just got it back. Unfortunately I gave it to him before I saw your message about moving the hook switch wire. I am going to do that tonight. Thanks!
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by Etienne - Today at 04:29:15 PM
Found this phone for sale (not mine) with a closeup of the dial card.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2520392510.htm

Interesting dial maker's card, LMT was one of the 2 french ITT subsidiaries (the other one being Thomson-Houston).
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by poplar1 - Today at 03:21:33 PM
Harry, did you get the phone to ring without ring trip?
GPO Pay Phones / Re: The British Telecom CT6000...
Last post by Tony Whitley - Today at 10:27:39 AM
There was a 20p version with a couple of different components in the coin mech but 40 years later I can't remember whether it was sold or was only a prototype.
New Member Introductions / "Mr Moneybox"
Last post by Tony Whitley - Today at 10:15:30 AM
Hi all,

I wrote the software for the "Moneybox" payphone (which involved a fair bit of input to the mechanics and electronics) back in 1984/5.  Prior to that I worked at GEC writing the software for their offering for the BT street payphone tender (won by Plessey which was a nasty shock as we didn't know they were tendering).

The attractions of payphones were eclipsed by the new kid on the block, cellular phones, and I moved to Technophone and spent most of the rest of my career writing mobile phone software.

I still have the engineering model Moneybox and the source code listings are in the attic! I have many war stories from those days, if you're not careful I may post some of them. As a taster: we wanted to test the coin mechanism for weaknesses so ordered (from memory) £3,000 of 10p pieces from the local bank.  This was an unusual request which took quite a while to fulfil! When they finally arrived I opened them up to find they were all newly-minted where we wanted used coins to see the effect of dirt build up; we returned them the same day and expressed our requirements more precisely which must have made us the bank's least-favourite customer  >:(

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8634.msg92676#msg92676
Technical "Stuff" / Re: Question about hookswitch ...
Last post by MaximRecoil - Today at 07:33:02 AM
The cam lobe I made is super glued in place and the microswitches (Omron D2S-10LD) are all wired up.

The switch closest to the top of the picture is the receiver muting switch and is wired as normally-closed. The other two switches are for L1 and L2 and they're wired as normally-open.

When off-hook, all three microswitch levers are depressed by the cam lobes, so the receiver-muting switch is open (i.e., the receiver isn't muted) and the L1 and L2 switches are closed, which connects the network to the line cord.

When going on-hook, the receiver-muting switch actuates first to mute the receiver and then the L1 and L2 switches actuate to disconnect the network from the line cord, and when going off-hook, the L1 and L2 switches actuate first to connect the network to the line cord while the receiver is still muted, and then the receiver muting switch actuates last to unmute the receiver.

In other words, it works in the exact same way that a Western Electric model 500/2500/etc. hookswitch assembly works.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: WE500 Network Question
Last post by Gerd - Today at 07:30:20 AM
Located in DE and it is extremely difficult to find a black one and also that early model. IMO this phones are overpriced here. I was lucky to find my green NE from for 19,-€
Technical "Stuff" / Re: WE500 Network Question
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 07:17:03 AM
That equates to about $64 US dollars. That is a little expensive for a beat up black 500. If you are in Europe I don't know how often you will find them. Good Luck ;D
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by HarrySmith - Today at 07:14:32 AM
If Google does not work one of our members can translate the wiring for you. Making a replacement contact finger is fairly simple. I have done it a couple of times.