News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 229W

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

western Electric 299w. Any ideas on the value? Is it authentic?
Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

poplar1

229W is the part number for the transmitter. The model of the phone is marked on the back of the lug holder (neck)---possibly 20-AL. The receiver shell is Kellogg. It was common for independent phone companies to use various brands of parts when repairing the phones they leased to customers. Originally, desk  phones were painted black or nickel plated.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

On eBay this phone would probably sell from $45-$75.  If it had its original black finish, or if it had Bell Telephone markings it would fetch a little more.  I would sell the receiver separately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 18, 2012, 10:19:49 AM
On eBay this phone would probably sell from $45-$75.  If it had its original black finish, or if it had Bell Telephone markings it would fetch a little more.  I would sell the receiver separately.

Thanks!
Maureen

AE_Collector

Let us know what model number is stamped on the back of the mount for the transmitter assembly.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

It is interesting that this phone has a Kellogg receiver if it came from Illinois Bell.  The receiver might have been added during or after the war when parts were in short supply.

Larry

poplar1

I think that maybe he acquired this phone somewhere else. The W (229-W) often means that it was not a Bell phone. The 354 Wall Set with a Los Angeles sticker on it, the orange 500 (WE didn't make orange 500s as far as I know), and the beige ITT ringer box also didn't come from Illinois Bell.

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 18, 2012, 11:35:24 AM
Let us know what model number is stamped on the back of the mount for the transmitter assembly.

Terry

I know it has been a couple months but I found this phone again today and snapped a pic off the model number. It looks like the first model number was crossed out.
Check it out.
Thanks,
Maureen

sebbel

This is kind of odd since a 50AL should have a dial but a 20AL doesn't. Technically that phone is a 20AL. Brass body/no dial. It's not unusual for phones to be restamped but they usually do so when the a upgraded while this one wasn't.
Seb.

poplar1

Mo, the 20AL marked out and changed to 50AL indicates that this part of the phone was on a candlestick phone converted from non-dial (20AL) to 50AL (dial). WE often did this on phones that were remanufactured for the Bell companies rather than selling them all-new phones.

I suspect that years later someone combined parts from several different phones and also removed the paint.

Sargeguy

I bought a nickel plated phone that had the 20-AL XXX'd out on the back of the perch and 51-AL stamped on a the front with a 337 transmitter (formerly a 323, also XXX'd out).  Later I received a phone from the same seller on eBAy that was a nickel plated dial base and shaft, with a 20 BC perch and 329 transmitter.  I switche d out the transmitters and perches and now have a perfectly nice 20-BC and a nickel-plated 51-AL re-stamped abomination.  The good news is that the dial is a #2.  The bad news it was missing the fingerstop.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409