News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

51al with #2 brass dial

Started by wds, April 24, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

I agree that WE would have issued candlestick phones in plated nickel or painted black. Dials were painted black except white rim on color phones. Polished brass never happened in the real world.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Here's a couple pictures, with the brass #2AA, and a #2AB in black, nickel center ring.  I'm done cleaning for now.  I decided not to take the insides completely apart yet.  I'll practice on a #5 dial first!  The brass is as Dennis described - nickel plating, then a very thin coat of brass.  The fingerstop, is nickel, then brass coated.  Usually it's just the opposite - don't rub too hard or the nickel will come off and expose the brass.  This time it's don't rub too hard or the brass will come off and expose the nickel.  The brass plating is so thin, that the slightest rubbing is removing the brass, so I'm done for now.  There is a little corrosion on the side of the dial around the fingerstop, but otherwise the brass around the side is in pretty good shape.  
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2012, 08:33:56 PM
I agree that WE would have issued candlestick phones in plated nickel or painted black. Dials were painted black except white rim on color phones. Polished brass never happened in the real world.
Hey David....welcome to the Forum. I agree with you assessment of the brass. What do you think was the story behind this dial. I love the brass dial but I cannot see why WE would plate it brass, especially after it was nickel. Is the guess that this is an after market brass plate or a WE plate. Either way an outstanding dial.

Dave....I can't wait to see a picture of this phone assembled. Its a keeper....Doug
Kidphone