News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trying To Get My 1/47 302 Working

Started by gands-antiques, January 31, 2012, 05:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

The two wires from the mounting (line) cord go to terminals "L1" and "L2".  The red wire from the handset, which goes to both the transmitter and receiver, goes to the "R" terminal on the inductor coil.  The black (transmitter) wire goes to the "BK" dial terminal, and the white (receiver) wire goes to the "W" dial terminal.  If any of these wires were bad, you would not be able to both hear and speak on your phone.  The problem is with a contact or wire within the phone.

According to the diagram:

The terminals on the inductor coil have the following connections:
C:  red wire from the capacitor (condenser)
GN: green wire from hook switch
L1:  one wire of line cord and slate/red wire to dial
L2:  other wire of line cord and yellow wire to hook switch
R:  red wire to handset (transmitter/receiver)

The dial terminals have the following connections:
Y:  yellow wire to the inductor coil:  slate/red wire from inductor coil
BK: black wire to capacitor and black wire to handset (transmitter)
BB: brown/black wire to hook switch
W:  white wire to handset (receiver)

One ringer wire connects to "L1" and the other to the capacitor.  The other side of the capacitor connects to "L2".

Larry

gands-antiques

The phone is working now and I want to thank everyone who provided their recommendations.

I replaced the mounting cord and made some wiring positions changes as Larry provided in his last note.
I also tightened all of the connections and made sure none were touching adjacent wires or terminals as Doug recommended. 

Thanks again to everyone!!
------------------------
The phone dial is still very sluggish (I have to push it back to the normal position after dialing a number). I bought a can of electric contact cleaner spray and I am planning on spraying all areas of the dial (front outside and inside that I can access without removing or disassembling the dial or plastic cover. 

Is this an acceptable cleaning process??

Thanks,
Gary

Charles

Gary,

I had an old WE 300 phone that was rescued from a flooded house. The dial was totally crudded up. Without taking the dial apart, I cleaned it by spraying mineral spirits into the gears and then blowing it off with compressed air. This completely cleaned the dial. The mineral spirits evaporates quickly and you are left with a completely grease free clean dial. Then I carefully lubricated the dial using 3in1 oil as per this article on the forum http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0

Charles

Doug Rose

Great job Gary......for the sluggish dial, open the phone up again, take a picture of where your connections are and remove the dial. There is a yellow cover held on be two little screws, remove it. Use very small drops of oil on the gears. You do not need a lot. Too much will cause issues. Spin the dial back and forth until it returns normally with no squealing or help from you. You can squeal later when your new phone works like a champ!!....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have found that giving a generous spraying of contact cleaner to the gears, pivots, etc. on the back of the dial removes alot of dirt, lint, and congealed oil.  After all of the contact cleaner evaporates, I carefully oil each of the pivots like I oil a clock, and everything usually works well after that.

Larry

bingster

And above all, resist any temptation to oil the governor. 
= DARRIN =

gands-antiques

Thanks again to everyone.  The spray cleaner seems to have done the job. 

After the spray, the dial would rotate freely in both directions so I plugged the phone into the phone jack and the dial became worse than it was before (it nearly locked up) and I couldn't get a dialtone.  I placed the phone under a fan for awhile and then tried it again and now it is rotating freely in both directions, I can get a dial tone and I can call out and receive calls. 

I don't know why it got worse for awhile unless I gummed it up with the contact cleaner. Unfortunately I didn't have and compressed air or I may have been able to avoid the no dial and slower operation after spraying the cleaner on the dial.

Oh well, I think we're good now and thanks again.

Gary

HarrySmith

The can of air sold for cleaning keyboards works great. Also be sure to lubricate as suggested earlier.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

gands-antiques

I haven't lubricated it yet...is it possible to lubricate the required areas with the dial still installed and without removing the plastic cover?

Thanks,
Gary