News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 won't ring....But there's a catch!

Started by Floydk, August 13, 2011, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floydk

First time poster here and want to say what a great site this is.

I am adding this phone to my Bungalow decor so...... I was able to rewire the phone per everybody's help and it now rings on my POTS line just like I remember 40 years ago. This is great!

But here's my issue. With only one POTS line in the home, I purchased a GE Instajack wireless phone jack. Now, if I install the 500 directly to the base unit, it rings loud and clear (most likely it is a pass-through to the wall) however if I connect the 500 to the Instajack extension unit in another room (this plugs into a 120V wall outlet to receive the signal), the 500 will not ring. Actually there doesn't seem to be enough voltage because with the cover off, I can see the clapper vibrating but not enought to hit the bells. I moved the Bias spring as some suggested to either side but it still does not work. If I hook up a Digital phone to the extension unit, and the 500 to the base unit. both phones ring.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to say, but those electronic extension units just do not deliver the kind of current needed to ring an older phone with the mechanical ringer.  There is the same issue with Magic Jack.  There is no adjusting that can be done to resolve the issue, since the old ringers definitely need the current to ring them.

-Bill G

Floydk

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. We'll see if GE (the Instajack mfg) will provide any useful information. If they do I will certainly pass it along!

Dan

You can always put a splitter in and divide it into several lines and hook it up this way.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright