News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why is the Forum Website Not Secure?

Started by Desert Phone Guy, November 28, 2018, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

I just noticed on my banner that my connection is not secure when posting or viewing on the forum. 

Do I have a problem with my connection, or is the forum not a secure site?

Just curious.

Steve

jsowers

Only sites with https:// are secure sites. You need security encryption for bank transactions and such. Posts about 302s and wiring diagrams, not so much. Does posting info about rotary phones need security enabled? I think it would be a waste of time and effort. Others may have a different opinion.

Back when Google Chrome started that banner thing, eBay scrambled to make the entire site secure only because it said it wasn't secure and gave the impression transactions with PayPal (which was secure) were also not secure. It played havoc with their image hosting until most of the companies that specialized in that caught up and made their hosting secure.

I don't know of any Forum that IS a secure site. Does anyone else know of one? It may not work with the forum software to work under security. I am by far no website expert, so others may have much they can add.
Jonathan

Desert Phone Guy

Ok, Very good, thank you for the response.  I guess I am just paranoid with all the "cyber this and cyber that" going on in the world today.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Steve

twocvbloke

Quote from: jsowers on November 28, 2018, 08:11:10 PMI don't know of any Forum that IS a secure site. Does anyone else know of one?

Another forum I use has HTTPS security on the go:

https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/

Doug Rose

Just noticed it yesterday. Comes up not secure. Is used to have a lock meaning secure....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 04, 2019, 08:39:07 AM
Just noticed it yesterday. Comes up not secure. Is used to have a lock meaning secure....Doug

Can't remember on which device but I have sometimes received a not secure warning.
Last time was a few weeks before Christmas I think.

Teleplay would have known the details, maybe one of the other mods might be able to check it out and advise.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Stormcrash

Yeah the browsers have started marking sites with logins/posts that don't use https as not secure. I don't use Chrome myself, bu t on Firefox it's been adding a warning underneath the username/password fields on login pages on forums for at least 6 months now.  On Firefox that't the only place I see the warning though.  And yeah, most forums like this don't pose too much of a risk as they don't store critical data.  That said it does leave the password potentially vulnerable so just make sure you have separate secure passwords for sites like banking or anything where security really does matter

Doug Rose

My IPAD has Safari and I never noticed until yesterday.  Not Secure before classicrotaryphones.com

Kidphone

SUnset2

There are a few web forums that are on HTTPS, but it is a significant increase in hosting cost.  The risk of user accounts being hacked here is pretty low.