News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Early WE500

Started by Dan, August 03, 2009, 11:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I took a chance on this auction. I only had these pictures to work off of. Please note the smaller operator font and straight cord. Also if you look closely at the bottom of the phone, you may see a reflection of a date. (I was hoping it was). For $50, including shipping, I got an all original oldie . My other  WE 500  10-1950 had the cord replaced in 1953, but other wise it was original. This one was even better.

Auction pic #1

Auction Pic #2

Well here's what I got.

It's a January 1951. Earpiece 1-17-51. Network 2-1950!

Housing 1-9-51. The  original brass crimps for both cords were undated. I thought all 1951's had the date under the "loud" dial, while the 1950's had it in this position. I guess I was wrong. The housing is spotless, while the bakelite receiver is rough, but I should be able to "novus 2"  it up. I added a dial # retainer and it works and rings like a champ (after moving the gray wire off the ground terminal).

:D

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Wow, Dan, a nice very early 500. I'm impressed with the great condition, especially of the base and the feet. They look almost new. It must have had a good life. And a 2-50 network no less!
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Dan, that is a very nice phone.  I had my finger on the trigger for that one and couldn't see any date on the front so I backed away.  It looks like in the photo some yellow paint before the "2" on the network.  Is it possible that was 12-50 which would match up with the base date of 1/51.  If it is in fact 2-50 that is a very old one...even 12-50.  Does it have the split network?  Is the ringer a C2A, C3A or the usual C4A?  How about the dial, a 7A??  What are the handset element dates?  Nice phone, nice price.  I'm glad someone from the Forum got it!

Dan

Thanks. Here are some answers to your questions. I see where you could see the network looks like 12-50, but it's a 2-50. There are yellow paint dots under the GM circle, the L1 circle and next to the 2 of 2-50 that lead me to believe the network was stamped by a sloppy stamper. It has the split network, with the tungsten box dated Dec 18, 1950. Ringer is a C-2A, Dial is a 7-A , 1-51 with a roman numeral I under it. Handset element dates are ear-1-17-51, mouth 1-51. No dates on the underside of the caps (my 1950 has dates). My  10-1950 has a network date of 3-50, so I bet western electric may have made a lot of networks and kept using them in newer phones. If anyone has a '51 or '52, I'd be curious what date there network is.

Also, I agree about the feet. They are the best leather feet out of all my phones. If I polished the housing a little bit , it could pass for NOS.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Great phone Dan.  Thanks for all the information.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

That is the most complete early 500 I have even seen. The smooth handset cord proves it has never been to the shop. Can you read for us the date stamped on the crimp (handset and mounting cord).

Congratulations.
Jorge

Dan

I took both crimps off because the fronts were blank. (most of them say 53 or 56 as you know, for exampleto ID the year).  Underneath they both say H4BA roman numeral IV50  on both crimps. Maybe the 50 means 1950 and the IV means the 4th quarter of 1950, who knows. This is all new to me too.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

They are 1950. You are correct.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Dan, that is really something that both original cords are still on the phone.  Imagine.  The designation of the handset cord H4BA as I understand it (Bingster furnished this information a while back) translates like this.  "H" indicates handset cord, "4" indicates 4 feet in length and the BA would be some kind of production code.  A mounting cord (the older cloth cords) would begin with an "M", or "D" for a desk stand cord.

bingster

Sooooo close. ;)

The number is the number of internal conductors.

I'm still not satisfied with the production sequence answer we got from the list.  Cords with different ending letters are specified for certain models of the same phone in the BSPs, and that has to be for a reason.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Wonderful find, what was it listed under ?
How could I miss that gem ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bingster for clearing that up for me.  I will remember correctly next time.  I didn't buy the production code either but that is the lore that was passed on from the List as you mentioned.  Four conductors, not four feet!   :-[

Dan

Dan/Panther, it was listed under "vintage bell rotary telephone."