and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sargeguy's Collection of Old Timey Telephones

Started by Sargeguy, September 02, 2014, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Wooden Wall Phones-Local Battery

The phone room as it was about a year ago 2013

New England Telephone 2-Boxer w/exclusion switch. beveled transmitter, and wax ball lightning arrestor.  This phone is one of the highlights of the collection.  It is in as removed from service condition.  One of these days I might clean it with Murphy's oil soap to see what is underneath all the grime.  Or not.

Western Electric TYPE 240.  Described as being in "as removed from service" condition although I have my doubts about the cord.

New England Telephone TYPE 85.  A work in progress, was converted using 500 parts, most of the internal wiring is MIA

Western Electric 301As-circa 1904.  The 301A "fiddleback" or "Farmer's Phone" saw service from roughly 1901-1910. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Wooden Wall Phones-Common Battery

124F in Oak

Western Electric 124F "Apartment Phone"

293A in Walnut

293A "Apartment Phone"

293A in oak (early decal)

293A in oak (later decal)

293As painted black.  I did not realize I had two of them until I started the photo shoot.

Northern Electric 293A.  Sold on eBay a while back. 

Western Electric 296A in walnut

Western Electric 333 with *311 transmitter*

Western Electric 333 with 323 transmitter

Western Electric 533 "Apartment Phone"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Ringer Boxes

I love Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company equipment

Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company marked SPECIAL TYPE 43N

I have been amassing a collection of New England Telephone & Telegraph Company ringer boxes, especially those that use "wax-ball" ringer assemblies.  Here are a few:

TYPE 57

TYPE 43N/J

TYPE 111-Resurrected from the grave!

TYPE ? ? ?  A very large ringer box that uses 4' bells (not 3.5").  No type designation but stamped PROPERTY OF NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH COMPANY.  Has a patent date stamped into side.  Possibly unique.

Here is a video of this beast in action:

https://vimeo.com/105830407
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Subscriber Sets

A few of the subsets that made it to the wall.  Several more are on the floor in piles.

Western Electric 101 subset in walnut

Western Electric 101E.  One of my favorites because you can sit your candlestick on top of it for display.

Western Electric 101F in oak

Western Electric 212 subset in oak

Western Electric 295A subset marked PROPRETY OF NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH COMPANY

Western Electric 295BP.  Note the patent dates stamped into the wood.

Western Electric 295A in oak with early style label

Western Electric 295A in oak, early style label

Western Electric 295AT painted black

Western Electric 295L in walnut.

Western Electric 495BP painted black with cowbell gongs

Western Electric 297G subset marked PROPERTY OF SOUTHERN MASSACHUSETTS TELEPHONE COMPANY

Western Electric 273F  "Cyclops"

Western Electric 334 subset with wooden gongs.  A video of them ringing is here: https://vimeo.com/88011860
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Desk Stands/Candlesticks

A few "Hershey's Kiss" types

Although I restrict my collecting to Bell System phones, especially those from my local telcos (New England Telephone & Telegraph, Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company) I do have a few exceptions to the rule.  One of these is this candlestick by Jaynes Electric Company of Buffalo NY.  Apparently quite rare.

1895 Pacific Telephone "San Francisco" potbelly candlestick telephone (top half)

TYPE 22 "screw shaft" desk stand with 7-digit faceplate, paired with a 101E subset.

The same TYPE 22 "screw shaft" desk stand with 7-digit faceplate, paired with a 24F subset.

Re-nickled TYPE 22 "screw shaft" desk stand with 7-digit faceplate and 122 receiver.  I sold this on eBay for $390.  Ouch!

TYPE 22 "screw shaft".  I placed the enigmatic "*Western Telephone & Telegraph Co.* No.155" on this stick.  The Western Telephone & Telegraph Co. was a holding company whose sole purpose seemed to have been enabling American Bell Telephone exploit loopholes in the antitrust laws.  It was in existence on paper from 1902-1908.   It does not seem like the type of entity that would have it's own transmitter, but it does.

TYPE 22 (re-designated 20-S) screw-shaft. 

Western Electric 20-A.  These mounted horizontally on a extension arm. 

American Bell Telephone 20-B desk stand.  Note the 7-digit transmitter which is missing the *s.

Western Electric 20-B on a TYPE 5 magneto box with N.E.T.&T marked induction coil and N.E.T.&T. 43N ringer

Western Electric 20-BC with 295A subset

Western Electric 20-AP.  This one has a cut out switch.  It is also interesticg because of the older style transmitter.

Bell System 51-AL.  This was a really nice one with a 2AB dial and 132-B plate.  I sold it for $500.

151-AL late configuration.  My first dial candlestick was a daily driver for a time until I traded it for some TYPE 22 parts in black

Western Electric 152AB w 4H dial with notched 132 plate

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Desk Sets

I used to have a lot of B-1s and D-1s!

Western Electric B-1 with original curly cord.  The phone alcove in my 1928 house has screw holes that fit a 534/634 perfectly and period phone wire still in place.

Western Electric D-1 "Imperial" in Pekin Red

Western Electric D-1 "Imperial" in Green
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

300-Series

Western Electric 251, 302, 304, 306, 306. 410, etc.

Western Electric 302 in Pekin Red w/red plastic cord protector

Western Electric 302 in Green

Western Electric 302 in Old Rose

Western Electric 307

Western Electric 466

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Newer Phones

New England Telephone 266G 3-slot payphone from the mid 1960s.  The 266 is similar to the 233G but has its own network and ringer and did nit require a subset.  This one is from the Dorchester section of Boston.

Western Electric 500 in Pink (for the wife)

Northern Electric 554 with color change kit installed.  Sold on Etsy for crazy $$$,

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Signs

1889 Bell Long Distance sign "The Mother of All Phone Signs"

Very Early N.E.T.&T sign made by Imperial Enamel in England

1895 Bell New England Telephone flat one sided sign

Small die-cut sign found on early public telephone call boxes. 

Early small American Bell Telephone "Public Telephone" sign used to advertise the presence of a pay station.  Predecessor of the hubcap sign.

1908 Bell New England Telephone signs.  The first id flat, the second is flanged

1908 Wisconsin Telephone Company sign.  This sign was made by the Lafayette Steel & Enamel Co. of W. Lafayette OH.  There is an earlier version (no "Bell System") made in England.

Twin signs from California.  The use of "TELEPHONE" without "PUBLIC" is very uncommon on 1908 pattern signs.

"Universal Service" was the motto introduced by Theodore Vail in 1909 to promote the government sanctioning of the Bell System as a regulated monopoly.  This sign is very rare.

1921 Bell New England Telephone flate one sided sign

1921 Pattern New England Telephone Booth Sign

SNET/SOCAL "Mule" sign. This sign appears to have been the result of a factory error in which the wrong stencil was pulled.  Here is a video showing both sides of the sign:

https://vimeo.com/113215079

1931 Pattern
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Miscellaneous

Vulgar Victorian Plate-The First Salute-CURRENTLY MISSING

Here are a couple old printer's blocks used in advertising by AT&T and NET&T.  They were painted by the seller to show the design

A couple of printer's blocks from the Westerly Automatic Telephone Co. of Westerly, RI

WWII era Western Electric "War Worker" patch.  Uncle Sam's arm clenching an F-1

Providence Telephone Company manhole cover circa 1900.  OK so it's no technically in my collection but the three remaining examples are a block from my house.

Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company 2-piece spool insulator

1920s Bell System Athletic Award

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Paper Items-

1898 NET&T Telephone Guide

1900 AT&T Brochure and Map

Old NET&T promotional calendar

Post Cards

Providence Telephone Company Postcards:

These are some of the only items I have been able to locate from my local telco.

American Bell Telephone Company Postcards

The Bell Telephone Announces Unexpected Guests (R1)

A Convenience of Marketing (R-2)

The Bell Telephone Keeps the Traveler in Touch with Home (R-3)

Into the Heart of the Shopping District-By Bell Telephone (R-4)

Use the Bell Telephone When Servants Fail You (R-5)

The Social Call (R-6)

A Doctor Quick-By Bell Telephone (R-7)

The Bell Telephone Guards the Home by Night as by Day (R-8)

Use the Bell Telephone in Household Emergencies (R-9)

The Bell Telephone Relieves Anxiety (R-10)

The Bell Telephone Gives Instant Alarms (R-11)

When the Elements are Against You the Bell Telephone is For You (R-12)

Here is what the back looks like:

An early instruction card from N.E.T.&T

1920s NET&T Advertising Postcards

1910s SNET Advertising Postcards
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Paper Items

Phone Bills can tell you a lot about the structure and operations of the early telcos in your area:

The customer on this 1992  bill is the company now known as American Express

The earliest Long Distance line was between Boston and Providence.  This bill is from Fall River to Providence, and shows how A.T.&T. controlled the toll lines between telcos long before it took over the Bell System in 1908.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Directories

I have a few directories in the collection, they are a good way to cover up those stains on writing shelves:

1886 Providence Telephone Directory.  This directory is the first directory issued to P. Tel. Co. subscribers that used phone numbers.  Prior issues just had names, and the operator would look up the number. 

1893 N.E.T.&.T. Supplement

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

TOOLS & EQUIPMENT

New England Telephone & Telegraph 100-second timers used to measure traffic volume at exchanges

Southern New England Telephone Company 100-second timer

N.E.T.&T. Co. Waltham 8-Day clock

1936 Dietz "Little Wizard" lantern with embossed "Bell System" markings and a "Bell System" etched glass globe

Also found this Southern New England Telephone Co. Toll Lines vesta to hold the matches

SNET carpenter's square marked with an 1895-1908 Bell logo and inscribed "RATES DAY 25¢ NIGHT 15¢ THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE COMPANY-USE THE METALLIC CIRCUIT TO ALL POINTS IN CONN"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Badges and Pins

Southern New England Telephone jacket button

Providence Telephone Company Employee Badge

Providence Telephone Co. provided service in RI and nearby Massachusetts.  It was absorbed by NET&T around 1920 and items from the Providence Tel Co. are rare.

Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. Badge

Southern Massachusetts Telephone Co. Inspector Badge

Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company Employee Badge

The Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company was a small telco that operated along the South Coast area of Massachusetts and in parts of Rhode Island.  It was absorbed by NET&T in the early 1900s.

NET&T Employee Badge

WW2 era NET&T Air Raid Protection Badge

Slogan Used by NET&T in the 1910s
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409