News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aqua Stromberg Carlson 1543 Conversion

Started by Dennis Markham, July 09, 2011, 06:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I recently acquired one of the Stromberg Carlson conversion kits....the conversion from a model 1543 to a 1586.  The phone is Aqua and has/had some discoloration.

I have had a bottle of 20% peroxide for a while but had not tried to improve any sets that were discolored.  I thought I'd give it a "quick" try yesterday and today.  I started with the Aqua dial bezel.

I simply brushed on some of the product and set it out in the sun for about 2 hours yesterday.  No covering.  It did dry on the plastic but came off with no problem with soapy, warm water.

The color was markedly improved.  Today I lathered up the housing, set it in a pan and covered the pan with Saran Wrap.  It sat out for a couple of hours.  It became cloudy outside so I brought it in, washed off the product and was amazed at the improvement.  Shown here are a couple of "before & after" shots.  One of the photos shows the handset in comparison.  I have not yet tried the product on the handset.  The housing, handset and bezel were all similarly yellowed.

I am very impressed at the improvement of this set.  Final photos will be posted when I get it finished.  I may even give the housing another blast even though it looks pretty good now.  I did use Novus2 on it after washing off the product.

I was able to buy the 20% from my barber who special ordered it for me.

Dennis Markham

I mistakenly referred to the peroxide as 20% when in fact the 20V indicates "volume".  Thanks to LarryInMichigan for sending me a link about the professional grade peroxide.  Here's the information he provided:

http://goo.gl/m2jvK

Craig T

Dennis,

I grabbed the same stuff by a different company. 40 volume and 12% peroxide. Mine is called Igora. I have not tried it out yet, hope it turns out like that Aqua!!