News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 51AL Cannot dial Out

Started by Doug Rose, May 30, 2016, 01:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I bought this yesterday and it had a 2AB on it, worked perfectly but I could not break dial tone. I swapped out a 5H, strapped BB and Red and STILL cannot break dial tone. Any suggestions? T rebooted my 616 and swapped ports still cannot break DT....Doug
Kidphone

Stubbypylon

Doug, have you checked that you can break dial tone on other 6/16 ports to eliminate the 6/16 from the equation all together?  Next I would try a working phone on this 6/16 port to see if it breaks dial tone.
Craig Stanowski

Doug Rose

Craig ....616 is working like a champ....all other phone dial out no issues....many thanks.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Are the two lugs on the left side of the picture too close to each other and possibly touching?

Larry

andre_janew

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing!

Doug Rose

Larry...they are not....it's an optical illusion, the W post is much higher....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

First time I've ever given electrical advice, but is that a frayed conductor between two of the dial pulse contacts? Maybe whatever that is could be interfering with the pulses? ???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Shown are only parts of a 51AL, just looking at a dial and the end of the wiring harness cannot solve any issues.

A 51AL has one phenol connection plate for the GN and R terminals. Where is that?
Where is the mounting cord?
How is the subset wired?

Based on what I see, I would guess this is a 50AL.  Still no mounting cord though.
How many leaves are in the hook switch?

unbeldi

Diagrams:

Doug Rose

I found just the stick with a 2AB. No subset. I wired dial tone to the red and green on the connection plate. Voice transmission and reception loud and clear, so it is wired correctly. It did not dial out with the #2 or dial out with a #5 with BB strapped to R on the dial.....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 30, 2016, 07:52:23 PM
..... so it is wired correctly.

Sorry, but no.  If you are connecting the red and green to the line, you are essentially connecting the receiver directly to the line without the transmitter or the dial pulse contacts even in the circuit. Follow the diagram that unbeldi posted and you will see that is true. 

In order to get it to dial out with no subset, you will need to connect the line to yellow and green and jumper between BB and W, or just move the white wire from the W terminal on the dial to BB.  Assuming the transmitter is good, it should work for you, but there WILL be loud pops in the receiver when you dial.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

thanks Bill....I'll give it a shot, I do appreciate it....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

4-conductor dial cord (harness) is from a 50-AL. The 50-AL has no terminal block in the base since all connections (other than the 4 dial wires) were made on the rack, as with 20-AL.

51-AL would have 3-conductor switch cord (harness) and one terminal block (R GN). The yellow wire in the desk stand cord would go directly to Y on the dial.

Without pictures of the rack (hookswitch etc.) and the rest of the base, I can't tell whether you have a 5O-AL or a 51-AL.
Both have 3 contact springs in the hookswitch, but the 50-AL has more terminals below the hookswitch, and the dial cord is connected to the back side (opposite the hookswitch).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

It is a 50 AL. I removed  red and green from the connection plate. I moved white from the dial to BB, red to R on the dial and Green to Yellow on the dial. Nothing...no dial tone.

Before I had dial tone and it transmission but no dial. 12 hour day, I am beat. I appreciate all your help....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Here is the wiring of a 50 AL.