"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WIRING A WESTERN ELECTRIC 52AB CANDLESTICK

Started by gands-antiques, September 09, 2014, 02:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 21, 2014, 11:14:18 AM
Here is a 152-AB I just finished.  I was going to put it up on eBay but I think I'll keep it.  It has a nice NOS cord and 4H dial and I don't think it would do as well as a 151-AL.  Besides, it's a buyers market on eBay these days.

Looks very nice. I would keep it too. Headsets don't seem to gather much respect.

What number head band is that with the long stem before the fork?
There are several versions and I still have to keep track exactly of which goes when with which type of set and receiver holder.

Yours looks like one of the newer types?

I know a 15F goes with a 52S operator headset.

I think, I am looking for a 3B or 11A for a 716B receiver.

unbeldi

Here are a 3B and a 7A band from the mid 20s.  I think I got these from the 1922 Railroad catalog.

... Added an 11A head band with a 528 receiver, from 1934.

... ... While I am at it. I found a No. 15A picture in the Type 52 Head Telephone Set brochure (ca. 1946 ?)

Now that I read that brochure, it turns out the stem or pin that holds the yoke actually slides in and out of the black plastic triangle. I've never thought about that before, I thought it was a different suffix number for long and short pin. I just tried it out and it works!

Sargeguy

I have one that is similar to the one on my 152AB but has a black vinyl cover, and the bracket that holds the receiver is painted.  It holds a headset microphone "AUDIOEARS P/N 1400A" and jack cord for a switchboard.  It's yours if you want it but you have to take the microphone too.  `
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 21, 2014, 05:09:44 PM
I have one that is similar to the one on my 152AB but has a black vinyl cover, and the bracket that holds the receiver is painted.  It holds a headset microphone "AUDIOEARS P/N 1400A" and jack cord for a switchboard.  It's yours if you want it but you have to take the microphone too.  `

Thanks, I think I am going to hold out for a 3B, I have a couple No 15, but the yoke is a little too tight.  One catalog mentions they could be used, but the yoke has to be opened up a little by bending.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Sargeguy

I am watching this one and hoping the price comes down when no one bids on it, I think most of the value is in the cord, and I could use one of these for my railroad scissor phone if I ever figure out what i did with all the parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 24, 2014, 11:22:05 PM
I am watching this one and hoping the price comes down when no one bids on it, I think most of the value is in the cord, and I could use one of these for my railroad scissor phone if I ever figure out what i did with all the parts.

Yes, I felt it was too much, almost $35 with the shipping. The cord does look nice and that is worth something, but the same can be had for less. These headsets are often very cheap. Last week I saw an auction with 3 or so headsets with at least 2 head bands, and some other parts for ~$3 plus about $15 for shipping, IIRC.