"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

712B with 14 wire line cord

Started by princessphone, January 10, 2015, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there'
Just bought a black 712B Princess with a 14 wire line cord and she's in real nice condition. She'll be a real nice companion to my red 1713B (which was upgraded to a 2713B soon after the 12 buttons became available).
Was up all night researching about these "hybrid" phones. What I think I learned was that these babies could be wired up to perform maybe up to at least 8 different applications or combinations their of. Often with use of some external equipment.
Here's what I'm thinking. Rather than have these girls sit on a pedestal (shelf), I would like to make them useful. Here's the scenario in our home: I'm usually in my upstairs office/study or in my basement workshop taking phones apart, and she, Cruella is in her smoking room - the garage. Relax, she's got a small heater. Often the incoming phone calls are for her so I would like to set up a signaling system or a intercome system utilizing these phones. Has anyone any ideas or thoughts on this on how to set it up? Would I need a small PBX? Did Bell rent any of this equipment to households, small businesses or farms? If so are some still around? What were they called? Any suggestions or leads will be welcome.
Back to my "new" 712B. I would like to learn about the 14 wires in the line cord one step at a time. Which 2 wires would make up line 1 and which 2 wires line 2? Would you also know which ones are the ring and tip? Also which 2 wires wold activate the light/night light?
Thank you all again, John

poplar1

John, have you tried searching in the TCI library?
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Enter 712B in the search box. Here's one result:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2936-502-701-101-i1-reference-712b-telephone-sets-tl

Line 1  is on White-Blue (Tip) and Blue-White (Ring)
Line 2  is on White-Brown (Tip) and Brown-White (Ring)
Pushbutton signaling, using the line key, is on White-Slate/Slate-White
Dial Lamp Transformer is connected to Yellow-Green/Green-Yellow pair.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

princessphone

Thanks poplar1,
You and others are always right there to help me. Please tell me when you say white-blue, does it mean white background with blue stripe or the opposite? I feel so stupit.
Also please explain the info in the members profile: What is a hero member? What means On line and Off line? What means the number colour of the little squares?
John   

poplar1

White-blue is mainly white with blue stripes. Blue-white is mainly blue.
The box next to a user name is green when the member is signed in, i.e., "online."
Hero members are those with 500 or more posts.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

princessphone

Thanks poplar1,
I just tested line 1, line 2 and the light on the old girl and all works perfect. So far so good.
John