"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi everyone ,
                    And another phone has been pulled from the pits of the phone to lamp people!!!!!!  It was sad that this nice phone was violated like it was but now it has been converted back!! It shall serve out it's last days used as it was meant to be.   AE- 32A14                  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

This looks quite near a miracle, at least you have done something impossible. How did you repair that bakelite and get so perfect?

dsk

Doug Rose

Stub....really nice job on this.  Nice that you had the correct parts, the handset is especially hard to find. My cradle is bakelite, but I can see yours is metal. Can't wait to see the other save from the lamp phone.  Impressive! ...Doug
Kidphone

stub

d_s_k - I had the spare parts to fix this phone. The base is a repair though.
            The crack is at the O  location  below dial finger wheel . You can still see the crack but it is better than the other one. I do plan to try my hand at repairing the base some time later.   stub

Doug - The other save was a Kellogg candlestick that I used back in the early 60"s at school as a science project. It belonged to my grt. aunt and grt. uncle made a lamp. I got all the parts in and fixed it and put the right subset on it and use in my phone rotation!  Oh, I had a plus on this phone , the handset, which was the wrong one, had the induction coil receiver in it !!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

McHeath

Outstanding save!  No one would ever know it once was relegated to duty as a table lamp.

Greg G.

Apparently the phones-to-lamps conversions isn't something recent and go back a ways.  I just don't find them appealing at all.  May as well use beer cans instead.  Nice rescue.  (Now if you're like me, right now you're googling "beer can lamp"!)  Somewhere, a beer can collector is in angst:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Quote from: Brinybay on February 24, 2010, 04:34:31 AM
Who the hell started this lamp-phone fad anyway?  It's not even attractive decor, they're butt-ugly as a lamp, may as well use beer cans instead.  Nice rescue.  (Now if you're like me, right now you're googling "beer can lamp"!)

Living in Michigan, I would rather have the dime deposit on that can  :o  ;D

By the way, great save on that beautiful phone Stub!

AET

As y'all know, my dad and I are also major brewery collectors.  He had quite a few lamps 'back in the day' such as this.  Schmidt cans used to be quite valuable, particularly the wildlife scene cans, the value has dropped severely and the lamp components are probably worth more than the can now sadly.
- Tom

savageje

I have been keeping an eagle eye out for Kellogg 700s, 725s, or 925s.  I just love their classic art deco lines (not of the eBay "ART DECO" variety).  I was browsing around a local antique mall this afternoon, when I saw the item pictured below.  I am kind of new to this, so I didn't realize that the 700 series even came in Ivory.  At first, I thought it was a paint job, but if it was it was a darn good one.  I was tempted to buy it, since it was probably fairly rare -- but felt that it was ruined -- so I walked away feeling nauseous and angry at whoever drilled a big ugly hole in the thing.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures...I was in a hurry as the place was about to close.

Dennis Markham

Does that say $30, or $300??

savageje

I think that may be a price tag from another item you are seeing.  The lamp was priced at $89.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: savageje on March 07, 2010, 06:02:36 PM
I think that may be a price tag from another item you are seeing.  The lamp was priced at $89.

$89 is good, even with the damage. I would buy it and use it as a lamp (rewiring it as a safe lamp if needed).

Eventually I might try to restore it (or not).

You should be able to get a 10-20% discount just by asking. I would buy this.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I have never seen one in Ivory, I'll have to go back to the Donner Books to see. This is a shame and to crack the handset when drilling....aaaaahhhhhh....Doug
Kidphone

savageje

I am still strongly tempted to go back and talk the guy down based on the damage.  Repairing damage like that is a little out of my league.  I would think it would be very hard to repair the hole/cracks and get the color to match.  I've seen some amazing bakelite repairs (i.e. Dennis's WE302 cradle ears), so I wouldn't say it is impossible.  Still pacing the floor over this one....

bingster

If you can make certain it's white plastic, rather than black plastic painted white, I'd definitely try to get it, even with the problems.  Be aware that there will be interior damage/missing parts, too.  Still, a white one would be an incredible find.  I can't say for certain whether it's white plastic or not, but the cracking along the top does look like the same darkened cracks that happen to white plastic.
= DARRIN =