News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WESTERN ELECTRIC 555 RECEIVER COMPRESSION DRIVER SPEAKER only 385 per month!

Started by Pourme, August 24, 2016, 05:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Didn't a similar one sell for big bucks recently? For 8 grand I could do so much more for my phone collection!
Also in reference to a previous conversation on auctions, I don't think the 24 "watchers" are all interested in purchasing. We want to know what becomes of this offer.  http://tinyurl.com/gwfz69b
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I think the money is in the Driver not the horn. I once bought a 555 driver from a junk store for $5.00. I used it for several years as a doorstop in my garage.
Once I realized it had value, I sold it on ebay for a little over $1500. It is somewhere in Asia now. That was a little over 20 years ago

Jim S.

BTW I have seen 555 horns that were pretty much 3' cube size.

These were used in movie theater sound systems.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Quote from: Jim S. on August 24, 2016, 05:32:57 PM
I think the money is in the Driver not the horn. I once bought a 555 driver from a junk store for $5.00. I used it for several years as a doorstop in my garage.
Once I realized it had value, I sold it on ebay for a little over $1500. It is somewhere in Asia now. That was a little over 20 years ago

Jim S.

BTW I have seen 555 horns that were pretty much 3' cube size.

These were used in movie theater sound systems.

You are correct. I included a picture of the driver as well...
Benny

Jim Stettler

I found out what it was and the value because of ebay.   I saw a WE 555 advertised on ebay. I thought it was a WE 555 switchboard, When I pulled up the auction , I realized it was my $5.00 doorstop. That one was very nice and had a horn, I think it sold for around $3500. I offered mine as-is  untested for $500 no reserve.

ISTR that they weigh around 15 pounds.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Excellent $5 investment......I noticed this unit is to be shipped separately and "professionally" packed for $150.....
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on August 24, 2016, 05:18:41 PM
Didn't a simular one sell for big bucks recently?

Yes, similar but a 597A, not a 555.

Sold for $16,000 with one snipe bid (exceeding the standing bid of $12,000) which also seems to have exceeded the reserve, which must have been $16,000.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16503.0