News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Phone lamp - a D1 from eBay

Started by Pourme, October 15, 2016, 03:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Because I cannot begin to consider desecrating one of my 80 year old D1s...but can't stop wanting to own a beautiful D1 phone lamp, I bought one on EBAY (already converted) for $20.00. The pictures show it as it was when it arrived. I have disassembled it and will order new lamp parts. I have already begun to strip the white paint so I can paint it satin black. The pictures show a 4H dial I will use on it until it is needed elsewhere. The handset cord is dated 1962 and no cord will be used.

When finished this should complement the display of my collection!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I like to "upgrade" phone lamps to 3-way sockets and long line cords.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Not a bad idea.....

I was considering a touch on/off feature....

I guess not compatible with 3 way socket.
Benny

jsowers

The touch part can also have a dimmer where you touch to make it brighter or dimmer and finally off. So that would accomplish the same thing as a three-way lamp. They do get hit by lightning, and I remember you're in NC, so beware of that. We sure get lots of lightning.

I've rewired touch lamps that no longer worked because they were zapped. Also the base would be the only part you could touch. The handset wouldn't conduct. But it would be a neat thing to have if you can find parts small enough to go inside. It has to touch the inside of the housing, or so the lamps I've seen have been done that way, with it mounted straight to the metal base like a heat sink. I don't know if paint makes it less sensitive or not.

I don't understand the clear fingerwheel. A black D1 would have a black fingerwheel, wouldn't it? You could just paint the brass one black and the retainer too when you painted the phone. The clear fingerwheel would go with the lamp in its current paint job to make an ivory Continental set and to me it wouldn't look so bad left ivory. It would be a rarer phone. But to each his own, as they say.
Jonathan

Pourme

The paint job on it was added by someone and is not a Continental factory job. Upon close examination it was chipped and in need of a repaint. Black is the original color and the color I want for this one.  The dial is personal choice for looks only, as the clear dial will catch the light. As it is held in by 3 screws and is easily replaceable, it may or may not remain. 

The paint has been stripped and all I need is a few pieces of hardware!
Benny

Pourme

The lamp phone is painted and assembled, waiting on the shade ordered over the weekend. I haven't wired it and the dial is just in place not fastened.

For the main shaft I used a threaded rod. The phone was threaded to fit a standard size 1/8 IP, lamp rod. I added a lock nut for stabilization. The rod I used was a 6" rod. They only had 6" & 18". If it proves to be too short I can simply cut and add a short piece. Instead of ordering a spindle I used threaded couplings. Stacked together they have a nice look. When the shade comes in I will decide if I need more length to raise the shade. The lower I keep it the lower the center of gravity. I had to use a 1/2" drill bit to enlarge the hole on the bottom of the handset to recess the couplings between the body and the handset into the handset.

It's coming together nicely. Hopefully the shade will arrive soon and I can share finished photos.

Note: I was able to find all of the hardware i used on the shelf at Lowes Hardware.
Benny

Pourme

More pics
Benny

TelePlay

Looks good. Nice work. Can't wait to see it with the shade on and the bulb burning bright.

I think I use a 40 watt bulb for effect rather than trying to light the room.

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on October 17, 2016, 05:33:23 PM
Looks good. Nice work. Can't wait to see it with the shade on and the bulb burning bright.

I think I use a 40 watt bulb for effect rather than trying to light the room.

I agree...I rarely use 60 w & never on a lamp, too bright!

LED bulbs are getting better, as well. You can find bargains on them if you pay attention.
Benny

Pourme

I waited ten days for the shade for my shades, I ordered two, and they arrived crunched and damaged. You can see the damage on the picture. I will file a claim.

I am pleased with the lamp rescue as a whole. I rewired, repainted and made a attractive usable  lamp that reflects my interest in antique phones!

Benny
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks nice!

Another option would be to use an LED Edison-style bulb without the shade, but the shade looks nice too.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 28, 2016, 11:39:31 AM
Looks nice!

Another option would be to use an LED Edison-style bulb without the shade, but the shade looks nice too.

Great suggestion. In fact, the first bulb I tried was a LED Edison style bulb, with shade. I use LEDs when and where ever I can. All my outside lights are LEDs. The light from the LED was too bright and harsh, and it was a very low wattage bulb. This is a standard 25 watt bulb, soft, and just right for the room. Perhaps one day I will find a LED that may work there.
Benny