News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Automatic electric

Started by wds, October 24, 2017, 01:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would have been an Auction Style selling price for this phone?

$700 - $799
1 (7.1%)
$800 - $899
0 (0%)
$900 - $999
0 (0%)
$1,000 - $1,249
3 (21.4%)
$1,250 - $1,499
3 (21.4%)
$1,500 - $1,749
2 (14.3%)
$1,750 - $1,999
2 (14.3%)
$2,000 - $2,999
1 (7.1%)
$3,000 - $3,999
2 (14.3%)
More than $4,000
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: November 08, 2017, 03:26:49 PM

wds

couldn't have missed this BIN by more than a few seconds.

mahogany AE

Hope someone here got it.
Dave

stub

Weren't me , I also saw it too late :'( stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

Seller left a lot of money on the table. Would have been a good auction contest subject.

HarrySmith

WOW! What a steal!! Did anyone here get that lucky??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I MISSED that one!  Oh well...

Larry

HarrySmith

WOW! That phone looks brand new! No damage to the cradle ears, beautiful cords and the wiring connectors do not even have any screw marks on them! No number on the dial card, I would have to call it UNUSED!

I would hazard a guess the seller probaly left over a grand on the table easily! Someone is a very happy buyer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Ignorant seller. Only phone item ever listed or sold by the seller. He knew not what he had but was willing to sell it for $75, a good price for a boat anchor item. The guy behind the counter at Pawn Stars would have liked this guy.

Seller currently has 80 items for sale, 75 are BIN and 5 are auction.

The 5 that are auctions are $10 junk that won't get a bid. The 75 BIN listings have a boat tie down lanyard as the highest at $125, a sports item for $85 and then everything else is $75 or lower. He has a couple of Teddy Bears listed at $75. The rest is a strange assortment of items.

Seller has 87 shown items sold.

79 BIN solds with the highest at $300 for a boat motor part. Two or 3 boat motor related things around $125. Then comes this phone at $75 so the seller thinks he got a boat load of money for it.

8 Auctions with 6 one bids and all under $15. Highest was $30 plus shipping for a boat prop and it got 8 bids, wow!

Reminds me of the Squatting Hound phone with the broken housing that was listed at $20 and sold on the side in about 15  minutes for $200 and was worth about $4,000 (an unbroken one sold a month earlier for $6,000 - I have a memory for these things having done over 200 auction contests and that Squatting Hound was one where I got burned, did the contest and had to cancel it).

Since it did not sell as an auction and money was left on the table, please take a moment to vote what you this it is worth in the poll on this topic, just for fun.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19104.msg196279#msg196279

Pourme

Note the listing states the item is "new".
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Why do sellers put a BIN when they have no idea what the phones are worth. This is a 2K + phone.....Good for Buyer....Bad for Seller....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

I've felt sorry for ignorant sellers who start an auction at $9 and get suckered into ending it early for $100 by a hustler leaving $4,000 on the table. eBay tries to stop that with their side deal rules.

To me, a seller who does a BIN out of ignorance is just his loss. If the seller ever finds out how much money they left on the table, the karma of ignorance will hit himm hard.

I suspect he was comfortable and happy to get $75 for something he may have picked up for $20. Might even have been a bit surprised that it sold so quickly - second thoughts on price. Stupid selling strategy but it's his money. That seller left a lot on the table but with a BIN offering, no sympathy from me.

A very less than savvy seller, I'd say.

LarryInMichigan

I have had a seller or two tell me after I bought their item very shortly after it was listed that they should have asked for more.  I feel a bit sorry for people who unknowingly give away valuable items, but I might admit to having done the same myself.

Larry

Haf

At first I wasn't the seller nor did I get it. But I want to give you another side of the medal to think about. I did sell lots of stuff on ebay. I know about my stuff, But I did something like this myself too. I even gave things worth sometimes several $$100 away for free to fellow collectors (if I remember right a rare dial to the starter of this threat once), sometimes not even charge shipping costs. And I had put things on ebay for a ridiculous BIN which I knew are worth a lot more.
OK, I'll try to explain.
To me collecting has something to do with hunting. Quite archaic. Wachting for "prey", if spotted something fall upon as fast as possible and then beeing happy about my catch. The better I do with prize, the rarer the piece, the better I feel. But vice versa I get angry if some ignorant is trying to sell stuff on ebay way overprized, like for e.g. a ordinary WE 500 for $250.
So, if I have something I don't need, I know nobody who is in need for I sometimes put it on ebay for a very low BIN, just to make someone elses day. The BIN has to be just high enough that nobody with not knowing what he buys jumps in.
It's not always everything about the money! I won't get broke if I do so. And I know that someones very very happy. That's a good feeling I think.
And maybe if ignorants want way to much and I'm wanting way to low, this will help  keeping prizes on a reasonable level (as pepople can do reserch  for sold listings on ebay). And I don't even believe destroing others businesses (maybe those who make a living out of selling). It's not always the highest profit that counts.

Just my thoughts, now you can call me stupid ;)

Haf

p.s. To me this is similar as to how this forums work. You give a away knowledge and a not to underestimate amount of your living time for free instead running a professional repair shop and take lots of $$. Just for the pleasure of helping someone solving his problems and feel happy about. Good thing I believe!
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AE_Collector

It isn't in the mail to me either.

As long as the base extension is also Mahogany that could potentially double the worth of this phone putting the package anywhere from $1200 to $2000 I would guess.

Terry