News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Candlestick With a Push Button on the Base

Started by gands-antiques, October 16, 2012, 08:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I just purchased 4 WE phones. The single candlestick has 20AL on the neck, 329 on the front of the front of the transmitter plate and a push button on the base. I'm trying to find out the purpose of the button and an estimated value.

I am also not sure about the candlestick that is mounted on the wooden wall mount with the box mounted on the top.

Any help with identification and estimated values would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Gary   

twocvbloke

I've found that most unlabelled buttons are an operator signalling or recall button usually, used on private exchanges or on some public ones, check the wiring to see how it's connected and it should explain it... :)

Sargeguy

I would value the candlestick around $100.  I have found that features such as a button in the base do not add value since most people are looking for consumer phones, not CO phones, RR apparatus or Interphones.  I notice that it is a "solid perch" which would mean it was once something else.  Are ther any other marks than 20-AL on the perch?

The 533 with dial is worth around $100-125

The partially brassed out stick is about $80-100.  The transmitter looks small, what is the tag number? 302?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The candlestick mounted on wood is interesting, it looks like a non-standard modification.  The customer may have preferred it to a wall phone, or it could have been something created by a collector.  This may be a conversion of an older 2-box phone, which, if it is WE and still the correct size, could be valuable.  It looks a little short, though.
What are the measurements, including thickness, of the backboard?
Is it walnut?  
Are there any extra holes that have been filled in?
What does the back look like?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gands-antiques

Hello,

The tag on the candlestick with the button is "329".

----------------------
I will get some more pictures of the phone mounted on wood and dimensions that were requested this evening.

gands-antiques

Sargeguy,

The backboard is 3/4" thick and it may be walnut.  It is more redish than brownish in color.

I will send a bunch of pictures in two groups.

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

I will get some more pictures of the phone mounted on wood and dimensions that were requested this evening.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

The box mounted on the backboard was originally a common battery (no generator)  293A wall telephone. The Eureka tag covers up the hole where the tranmitter wires (shown on the diagram) were, and the grill from an E1 handset covers the hole where the hookswitch was.

Northern Electric made a subset and also a 1717 wall set (with F1 handset) that used a similar wood box and small generator. However, the hinges were at the bottom and the screw was at the top of the door.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Thanks for the information.  Do you have any idea on the value.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

I agree with Sargeguy's estimates on the others. This phone may be worth $20-$25 less because it has the later bulldog transmitter. I can't tell if the receiver is a 706A (with the same HA1 receiver found in F1 handsets) or a repro; if repro it would subtract from the value.

I think the backboard is homemade.

The top box as is might be worth $25-$35; it would require a lot of parts to make back into a wall phone. But without the generator it could be converted to a 295A subset if the holes are repaired. WE often converted used wall sets to subsets in the distributing houses (service centers). However, this one was converted by someone else.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I think the backboard is from a two or three box phone, based upon the location of the mounting holes and channels for wires in the back, only its been cut down by about a foot to make this Frankenphone.  Notice there are no mounting holes on the bottom edge.  It would be worth something if it was been complete.   The ringer is worth $10 or so if it works, the 293 box would be $10 if it weren't for the hole.  I think the candlestick is probably worth more without the backboard and subset, the rest would not justify the extra shipping unfortunately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

It may be a 133A backboard with a modified 132A writing shelf.  Measurements and a better picture of the back would help.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gands-antiques

Sarge,

If it is a Frankenphone why does it matter what backboard or writing board it has on it?

Thanks,
Gary

Sargeguy

This is one of those cases where the whole is worth less than the sum of its parts.  If the measurement match up, and this is a WE 133A backboard, someone may need it for a restoration project.  It could be worth $50 or so to the right buyer.  If it is a cut down backboard, it would be worth $5???  You cannot tell unless you look at the back.  Like wise the writing shelf.  Maybe worth $20 depending upon the measurements.  The candlestick is worth maybe $90 itself.  Attached tot the back board it is worth $75 because the buyer needs to factor in the extra shipping for a bunch of parts he is not interested in.  Even if the backboard is a complete WE backboard, you should sell it separately from the phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gands-antiques

Sarge,

Thanks for the information...

The back board is 26" x 7" and  3/4" thick.

The writing shelf is 9 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 1/2" thick. The shelf has a 8 1/2" long raised lip for paper or pencil rest or stop and it also has a scallop cut on both ends of the edged where it attaches o the back board.

Are you interested in any or all of the wood pieces or the phone?

Thanks,
Gary