and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My AE34 now has gold trim!

Started by finlover, June 05, 2010, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 06, 2010, 09:05:30 PM
Quote from: finlover on June 06, 2010, 08:53:40 AM
If you decide you want to separate the trim ring from the earpiece, let me know and I'll lend you the tool for it (an allen wrench won't work).

What is the name of the tool that will remove the ring from the cap? Picture?

Believe it or not, it's the wrong end of a 5/16 square screw extractor.  I had to buy a set of 5 at Sears because I couldn't find it separately.  The square shape fits perfectly into four of the eight grooves on the nut in the center of the earpiece.

JorgeAmely

Greg:
Thank you very much for the information. I was able to remove it with no trouble at all by using a big flat screw driver. I have scratching my head as to why there was no network in my phone and Bill just mentioned that it is built into the handset. Can you show a picture of the inside of your phone? I want to see it would be fitted.

Thanks!
Jorge

finlover

My phone probably isn't the best reference.  When I got it someone had put in parts from a '70s mini wall phone.  I still haven't gotten around to rewiring it.  I'm not sure what you mean about a network inside the handset--mine seems pretty standard.  You've probably seen this picture already:

JorgeAmely

Externally, both look the same, but internally, mine has a speaker with three connections and according to Bill, it is a variation of a circuit used by AE in these old phones. This speaker is also the network for my phone. Instead of having the structure you see in your attached picture right behind the ringer, it has a terminal strip to which the capacitor and wires connect to.

In addition, it has a little coil close the where the hook switch is.

I am looking forward to assemble it and checking out how good the sound quality is compared to yours. Maybe we can call each other and compare notes. I am thinking yours will sound better because of all the gold on it.
Jorge

Kenny C

is finlovers car a 59 pontiac or oldsmobile
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on June 07, 2010, 11:23:51 PM

It's a '73 pinto  :o . I am not sure about his avatar .
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

finlover's car? It flashes on incoming calls.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

finlover

Quote from: Jim S. on June 07, 2010, 11:44:26 PM

Jim
How dare you--it's a '73 Maverick!  

Okay, okay, it's a '59 Oldsmobile, I just picked the Imperial for my avatar because it has better fins.  Here's my car:

Jim Stettler

Quote from: finlover on June 08, 2010, 12:35:42 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on June 07, 2010, 11:44:26 PM

Jim
How dare you--it's a '73 Maverick!  

Okay, okay, it's a '59 Oldsmobile, I just picked the Imperial for my avatar because it has better fins.  Here's my car:
Nice car, I like the olds also.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

:o :o :o Nice, very nice.  :o :o :o
Did you know there is an AE phone in a very similar color? I think it is called orchid, or something similar.
Jorge

Jester

Quote from: finlover on June 08, 2010, 12:35:42 AMI just picked the Imperial for my avatar because it has better fins.

I don't think the Imperial fins are really better than yours, Greg.  They are definitely big enough to be iconic, though.  The Oldsmobile has a look of refinement--The Imperial shows a dash of defiance.  I'd be proud to have either in my driveway.
Stephen

finlover

Quote from: Jester on June 08, 2010, 12:47:33 AM
Quote from: finlover on June 08, 2010, 12:35:42 AMI just picked the Imperial for my avatar because it has better fins.

I don't think the Imperial fins are really better than yours, Greg.  They are definitely big enough to be iconic, though.  The Oldsmobile has a look of refinement--The Imperial shows a dash of defiance.  I'd be proud to have either in my driveway.
Thanks, Jester!  Compared to the other automotive offerings in 1959, the Olds seems downright conservative--not in metallic mauve though!  It's not as cool as Jorge's ride, but it'll have to do.

Jester

Stephen

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 08, 2010, 12:40:57 AM
:o :o :o Nice, very nice.  :o :o :o
Did you know there is an AE phone in a very similar color? I think it is called orchid, or something similar.
Dude, I would probably trade half my collection for a Monophone in orchid!!