News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Teletrainer

Started by oldguy, June 29, 2018, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I got this teletrainer on shopgoodwill.com for $34.10+$26.74=$60.84. Judging by the prices on eBay it seems like a good deal.
Gary

Jim Stettler

That was a good buy.
Bell brought a teletrainer set-up to my school when I was in Kindergarten (66-67). It was green with a green 500 and a green 1500. It was 7-8 years before I ever saw another TT phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my understanding that this style of teletrainer sends the ring signal over the second pair. The telephones are  wired  to work on that configuration.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Very Cool. Yes I agree with everyone else you got a great deal. A lot I've seen on the bay don't even look as nice as your set up.
I heard of those when I was In grade school, but never saw one in person. I had a multi-line version from eBay years ago.
It had issues when I bought it. And found out that the sets had to be rewired to work with it. Bells way of making sure that if someone took the phones they wouldn't work if you plugged them in. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that those ring on the second pair.
Very nice piece of telephone history you got.
KEN

poplar1

Are you sure they don't ring over red and yellow, rather than yellow and black?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jsowers

Funny, my Teletrainer just like the one above uses ground ringing, which is the way the phones came from the factory. Yellow wire from the mounting cord on the G terminal on the network and black wire of the ringer on the same G terminal. Gary, since yours came with the phones, they should be wired correctly, so please report back what you find and if things work OK. A pic of the network wiring in one of the phones would be good too.

The phones should have three-wire mounting cords. Nothing different or special about these phones, or at least that's been the case for all the Teletrainers I've heard of from people who've used them. They did have long mounting cords because they needed to reach way past the teacher's desk.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2018, 11:23:55 PM
Are you sure they don't ring over red and yellow, rather than yellow and black?
That is probably the case.

They were wiring modular phones up to old teletrainers  for teaching kids about 911.

I think I misunderstood the point he was trying to make,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.