News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

NorthernElectric

Cliff

twocvbloke

Darn, I knew there was something I meant to get from tesco, Beer... ::)

DavePEI

Well, as long as we can still swim, we are happy. This taken today from a CBC video. A birthday pool party in town....

By the way, the plows have been taken off the roads again in the midst of this latest storm. No visibility, and they are getting stuck left, right and center! Confederation Bridge is again on a complete closure, and once again, PEI is shut down! Isn't it supposed to be spring Friday? Send beer, batteries, and blankets! :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I hope these will be the last snow photos I will post this year...

1 p.m. Mar 18, 2015 - More snow! Road partially open thanks to the Vissers, who used their snow-blower to open a path to the highway to allow emergency entrance. The plow has not come yet, but their work should make it a bit easier for the plow when it does come! It will likely look worse when the plow actually comes, as the banks will become steeper!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Sadly, it may not be.. Saturday, another major storm is poised to hit. If itr comes on the warm side, it may come as rain, but if not, as more snow. Either way, it won't be good, as if it comes as rain, it is guaranteed to  flood.

Yet, there is some good news, the PEI Government had bought another new highway snow blower to add to its fleet, and the New Brunswick Government is sending 4 blowers over to help widen the roads in the emergency... It is hoped most roads will be widened out by Monday.
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on March 18, 2015, 01:26:05 PM
That's ok, I will have them pack it all on trucks and send it all to California! I was going to send it to Florida, but if you guys need it more... Just saying... Islanders are generous people. We believe in sharing  :)

Remember to ship by Post Office rather than UPS Dave. Dont want them to have to pay the crazy brokerage fees on the other end.

Still no snow here off the west coast of Mexico now heading for LA tomorrow and then home.

Terry

DavePEI

Here are two photos we took this morning as we went shopping. The first is as the road at the hill was when we left, and the lower photo when we returned. Thankfully, another plow had come through in the meantime. When we pack up this snow and send it USPS, should I put a tracking number on it, Terry? :) The first photo is obviously taken from the bottom of the hill, and the other from the top about two hours later...

It was fun driving up or down this - in the 30 plus years living here, I have never seen it like this. If you stray even a bit to the left or right, you are in a bank! The Island is covered with roads that look like this this week! And another storm on the way!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Dave –

I can sympathize. I grew up in a small town in central Maine, where snowfall totals weren't too different from yours. Main Street was US Rte 2, so plowing was done by the state. During the storm, their big diesel trucks would come blasting through town at about 30 mph, pushing all the snow into huge banks like the ones in your photos. Our town did not own a truck-mounted snow blower, but it did have a self-propelled belt loader. You can picture it – a tracked vehicle with a big open maw in the front, and an auger to move snow onto the belt. The belt carried the snow up, and then to the back of the vehicle, where it dropped into a waiting dump truck. After each storm, the loader and a string of trucks would trundle down Main St at about 2 mph, scooping up the snow and everything in it, right down to the pavement. I don't recall that the apparatus ever tried to carry off a parked car, but I do remember when it carried off the town drunk, who had passed out and presumably died during the storm. The state plows buried him, and the belt loader popped him into the waiting truck, which unceremoniously dumped him onto the ice-covered river along with about 20 tons of snow. Today, there would be nationwide news stories, a formal investigation, guilty parties sought out, laws proposed, and general screaming among the politicians. When it happened, though, it was pretty much decided that he had caused his own demise, and after all he was dead long before the loader came, and nothing could be done about it, so no one worried much. And small-town life went on.

Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Bill on March 20, 2015, 03:09:24 PM
Dave –

I don't recall that the apparatus ever tried to carry off a parked car, but I do remember when it carried off the town drunk, who had passed out and presumably died during the storm. The state plows buried him, and the belt loader popped him into the waiting truck, which unceremoniously dumped him onto the ice-covered river along with about 20 tons of snow. Today, there would be nationwide news stories, a formal investigation, guilty parties sought out, laws proposed, and general screaming among the politicians. When it happened, though, it was pretty much decided that he had caused his own demise, and after all he was dead long before the loader came, and nothing could be done about it, so no one worried much. And small-town life went on.

Bill
Wait, did he die during the storm, and the plows/belt loader/dump truck decide to dump him after they found him dead; or was he killed (after passing out) by the plow trucks, and then accidentally dumped?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Spring Time in New England! A balmy 29 degrees.
Kidphone

HarrySmith

First day of spring = 89 degrees
Second day of spring = 89 degrees

Always hot, always green. Very boring!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Here we go again!

Today, the Island is shutting down again. This winter's snowfall totals now up to 499.4 cm,. (and climbing), the Confederation Bridge is now closed, and roads are being closed in many places. Plows have been pulled off many roads, and soon will be off across the Island. Police just requested that Rt. 1A from Cherry Valley to Pippy's Irving be closed as well as Route 3 due to multiple accidents with injuries. A police car lost sight of an ambulance in front of him with lights flashing. Please, stay off the roads if you are on the roads during a storm! It isn't worth your life!

This all began last night with rain, then changed over to freezing rain, then finally snow. Winds came up severely this afternoon, and visibility is pretty well zero in most areas. We can currently see only one power pole, and can't see our neighbours houses at all. While there isn't as much snow this time, due to the drifting and whiteouts it is paralyzing the Island again.

This morning I got up at 5 am, checked my emails then the power went out for four hours due to the freezing rain. It came back on around noon.

For those of you wondering, 499.3 cm works out to 16 feet, and counting!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

So, this year's big purchase will be a tractor with a big snowblower attachment then?  ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 22, 2015, 09:41:29 PM
So, this year's big purchase will be a tractor with a big snowblower attachment then?  ;D
Nope... Can;t climb up on a tractor any more. We sold our John Deere two years ago. Thankfully, we have the Vissers to help us out!

Here was my John Deere 950 and loader when Aliant dropped off the phone booth in front of the museum several years ago. I do miss it for tasks like that!
C*NET 1-651-0001