News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden Bell Sign

Started by ....., September 25, 2016, 08:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Found this on Kijiji. Is it the real deal or a fake?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/owen-sound/very-rare-bell-telephone-sign/1202005373?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is what the ad says:

very rare antique two-sided bell telephone sign, c1877-1879, an exceptional piece of Bell history, serious offers only

"The Bell Telephone Company was organized in Boston, Massachusetts on July 9, 1877, by Alexander Graham Bell's father-in-law Gardiner Greene Hubbard, who also helped organize a sister company — the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company. The two companies merged on February 17, 1879, to form two new entities, the National Bell Telephone Company of Boston, and the International Bell Telephone Company, "

"Most Bell signs were made of porcelain, but some early pay station and booth signs were made of wood or glass."

Fabius

Don't know much about the wood signs but from the photo it appears original.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dan/Panther

Could be an early small exchange. Hardware etc. looks era accurate. Slotted screws, square headed nails.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

If it is real it is really cool!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

It must have sold because the ad has been taken down.

Sargeguy

It looks old but I am not sure it is from the original Bell Telephone Co., the American Bell Telephone Co. was often called the Bell Telephone Co.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

It has been relisted.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/owen-sound/rare-bell-telephone-sign/1206239048?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Description from ad with picture from description.

ultra rare antique two-sided bell telephone sign, c1877-1878, see photos tracing sign to Hamilton, Ontario (enlarge photo to see sign on left side). http://data2.archives.ca/ap/a/a046460-v8.jpg
Hamilton, Ontario was the "site of the of the first commercial telephone service in Canada, the first telephone exchange in the British Empire, and the second telephone exchange in all of North America." (1877)...and it appears this may have been the first sign of that service!

...an exceptional piece of Bell history, technological history and Canadiana. will reply to reasonable serious offers only

"The Bell Telephone Company was organized in Boston, Massachusetts on July 9, 1877, by Alexander Graham Bell's father-in-law Gardiner Greene Hubbard, who also helped organize a sister company — the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company. The two companies merged on February 17, 1879, to form two new entities, the National Bell Telephone Company of Boston, and the International Bell Telephone Company, "

"Most Bell signs were made of porcelain, but some early pay station and booth signs were made of wood or glass."

Sargeguy

That is a pretty cool photo.  So it is a BTC sign?  Looks later than 1877 though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Doug....great picture! Is the pic from Canada circa 1877 with the red outline? It is proof that it is real. Amazing find! Amazing picture!!

Remco....I would think the Museum would want it...Other Doug (I haven't used that moniker in awhile and it sure makes me sad.... RIP Doug Pav)
Kidphone

andre_janew

It is indeed an old sign.  I know that round nails were first introduced in 1870.  I imagine it took a while to completely phase out the square nails. 

I don't own this sign I just found it on Kijiji and just posted it here.