News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NorthernElectric 354

Started by broadfootm, August 27, 2015, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadfootm

Looking for some help again, this time with a 354 wall phone. I put a new handset cord on, which works fine. I get dial tone, and the hook switch closes the circuit, but when I try to dial out I get constant dial tone, and it doesn't ring when I call. I am wiring this using a plug and jack. I am trying to attach a picture of the current configuration. Any assistance appreciated.
Mike

unbeldi

This is a Northern Electric 352.
As you see it indeed has a 101A induction coil, not the 101B.
Only NECo made the 352.  I don't know that they even made a 354.

So you can use the diagram of a 302 set to check the wiring of the set.

It seems that the ringer may only be connected on one side.  Check the ringer leads, there is a small connection plate next to the ringer, are both of those connected?

It's not visible how the handset is connected or where the wires are going that are leaving the picture.  The number of connections on the dial terminals don't seem right.

broadfootm

Thanks for the clarification, I am not a phone guy. The hand set is new, so red, black and 2 whites(which I connected together to the W) I have a 302 diagram so will try that tomorrow, I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help

NorthernElectric

It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like both your hookswitch and line cord are incorrectly connected.  Only the red and green from the line cord are needed and it looks like you have the yellow connected to L2-Y.  Also Your red and greem are reversed.  And it look like you have 2 wires from the hookswitch connected to L2-Y one of which I think should be on BB on the dial.  But the colors are faded and the photo slightly blurred so I'm not positive.

Here is a wiring diagram prepared by another member (Dan/Panther I think?) and posted in 2 halves in 2 different topics elsewhere on this forum.  I stitched them together into one to make it easier for me to read.  See if this helps.
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: broadfootm on August 27, 2015, 08:00:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I am not a phone guy. The hand set is new, so red, black and 2 whites(which I connected together to the W) I have a 302 diagram so will try that tomorrow, I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help

Here is the official catalog page of 1955, which has a fairly easy to follow wiring diagram.

G-Man

Quote from: broadfootm on August 27, 2015, 08:00:29 PM

How are the two white wires connected at the handset?
Also, what type of telephone service do you subscribe to?

G-Man

Here is another diagram that may help.

broadfootm

Wow! You guys are awesome! I have the 2 white wires at the handset connected together to the white terminal, should that be different? it is a new cord sohas 2 whites instead of one. I will work on this today and let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

broadfootm

poplar1

Move black capacitor wire from BB on dial to BK on dial (where black handset wire is already connected). And as Cliff pointed out, move the brown-blue hookswitch wire from L2-Y on induction coil to the now freed up BB on dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

broadfootm

ok, I have it wired exactly like the NECO 352 diagram above, it rings now but I dont have dial tone

unbeldi

Quote from: broadfootm on August 28, 2015, 05:43:15 PM
ok, I have it wired exactly like the NECO 352 diagram above, it rings now but I dont have dial tone

How did you wire your four-conductor handset cord?
It appears you used a cord from a 500-type set?

broadfootm

got it! Moved the slate/red wire from the dial to L2, dial tone, call out and ringing. Thanks for everyone's help. The hand set is wired 2 whitwa togethr on dial, blabk ob black on dial and red to R