News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Small But Definitely Eclectic

Started by 19and41, February 11, 2015, 11:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Nice looking phone!  Most of my mil-type phones are of the type my unit used when I was in the Army.  Just the field types.  I have a TA-312/PT hiding out in my stash of stuff, with 4 or 5 Kellogg candlesticks I got in a lot purchase about 25 years ago.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Finally had both the time and a decent day to photograph the Trimlines.  The beige rotary has LED illumination of the dial.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I've been late in posting here, but here is a nice Ericophon I acquired from Key2871 last year.  I use it as my computer desk phone.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Yesterday, I found what I wasn't looking for while rummaging around through the attic  This little unit has a 1962 dial and a 1949 receiver.  Just tried it with the dialgizmo and OOMA and it works fine.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

My newest phone arrived today.  I had been wanting to get one of these but have never quite gotten around to it.  I've liked the design, though I prefer the clear dial to the phenolic ones.  It looks like it is just dirty for the most part, with a spider or 2 taking up residence inside.  I was worried about getting it intact as I have seen so many accounts of them being broken up in shipment.  The seller packed it well and shipped it priority.  Well here it is, dirt and all.

— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

Radio Shack sold lots of those. They are fragile.The handset might be a replacement

19and41

It's handset looks worn as the housing.  It's marked Ericsson.  I've not seen elements like these.  they appear to be swaged into the caps.   I was in the Army when RS was selling them.
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

The telephone was built by Heemaf.An Ericsson handset would have been a replacement

countryman

Quote from: 19and41 on September 27, 2019, 06:48:45 PM
It's handset looks worn as the housing.  It's marked Ericsson.  I've not seen elements like these.  they appear to be swaged into the caps.   I was in the Army when RS was selling them.

Pics of the elements?
I have a similar Heemaf model 1955. The handset should have a more rectangular handle.

Yours seems to be a phone formerly used by the dutch PTT with the Heemaf logo on the plungers and PTT stamped on the capacitor. It seems these were distributed by Radio Shack after the PTT retired them. Matilo collects them and has more pics on his website:
http://www.matilo.eu/3-the-phones/1945-1960-late-bakelietperiode/heemaf-1955/?lang=en

19and41

Would anyone have an idea as to where I could find an original handset?  I had looked on Ebay and all I came up with was one attached to what appeared to be a WE 300.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Here are pics of the Ericsson elements.

— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

Hm. The handset itself seems to belong to a contemporary Ericsson type 1951, also designed for the dutch PTT:
http://www.matilo.eu/3-the-phones/1945-1960-late-bakelietperiode/ericsson-type-1951-tafeltelefoon-met-aardtoets/?lang=en

I can't imagine the elements were one piece with the caps from factory, maybe some kind of gasket turned into a gooey material or they are stuck for another reason. It might be the elements that came with the handset.

Edit, I know for collectors the fun ends with a wrong handset. But in this case it is well possible that it was fitted already by the dutch PTT. The Ericsson 51, Heemaf 55 and a third model were all designed to the same specifications determined by the PTT, so parts were exchangeable. It does not look bad, I would just live with it.

Edit #2 and picture of the elements from my Heemaf. At least the receiver is very similar. And yes, they were sticky in the caps, too! The coarse cap thread clearly shows it is a european handset, not an F1.

19and41

Well I was going to get started on cleaning and polishing, but my car's speedometer has failed and I need to take it out and check it over.  Not knowing how fast you are going is bad in a lemon yellow Mustang GT.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I managed to repair my speedometer and work on the phone.  I cleaned a lot of crud and tape residue from it and polished out the wear from the receiver on the housing sides.  I freed the elements from rubber gasketing in the caps.  I got it connected and working, thanks to DSK's tips in another HEEMAF thread.  It now rings, dials, transmits and receives.  Only funny thing about it though, it has no sidetone.  the only phone I've used that doesn't.

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I'd contacted Matilo and have purchased an original handset housing from him.  He's been quite helpful and informative.  Hopefully I will be able to show it with it's new old handset soon.
— Arthur C. Clarke