News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 Transmitter 10/37

Started by mariepr, January 18, 2017, 07:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariepr

I've now come upon two F1 transmitters, both dated 10/37, that appear to be made some kind of "pink gel" for lack of a better description.  Maybe the screen was red and it's dried and discolored over 80 years.  It's probably an evolutionary stage from the "bullet" transmitters first placed in the E1 handsets.  These work very poorly and I doubt if either of the phones what they came in had been in actual use in recent years.  Can anybody identify what type of carbon transmitter would have been used by WE in the mid to late 1930s?

unbeldi

Quote from: mariepr on January 18, 2017, 07:28:29 PM
I've now come upon two F1 transmitters, both dated 10/37, that appear to be made some kind of "pink gel" for lack of a better description.  Maybe the screen was red and it's dried and discolored over 80 years.  It's probably an evolutionary stage from the "bullet" transmitters first placed in the E1 handsets.  These work very poorly and I doubt if either of the phones what they came in had been in actual use in recent years.

This is an F1 transmitter.
Some of the early versions in the 1930s used that red moisture barrier, most often I think it look more orange than red.  Perhaps it wasn't as red back then, who knows, but it is pretty common.  I can't say that it causes any problems, I have several and they seem to work just as well.  Perhaps the granules in yours have suffered some cohering.  Knocking it by the edge against a wooden surface might improve performance.

The F1 transmitter was introduced in 1934 for use in the 625A conversion assembly for E1 handsets.   A so converted E1 was coded E1E.
For the desk stands, the F1 was also used in the 635A transmitter assembly, shortly afterwards.

For a formal reference description:
- W.C. Jones, Instruments for the New Telephone Sets, BSTJ 17(3) 338-357 (July 1938)
- A.F. Bennet, et al., Telephone Transmitter, US Patent 2,042,822

Can anybody identify what type of carbon transmitter would have been used by WE in the mid to late 1930s?
The F1 transmitter was the standard in the period.   323s, 337s were being phased out in refurbishing, but were certainly still maintained for a while.