News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Imperial.

Started by AET, December 24, 2009, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Hi guys.  I just got this phone the other day and had a chance to work on it this evening after work.

Jester was kind enough to set me up with a nice, restored handset and cord for it. 

I cleaned the phone top to bottom, including a polishing.  The dial was very filthy and gummed up.  I lubricated it up and still was sticky.  My brother looked at it and fixed it (he's a whiz with mechanics). 

The phone's all prettied up now.  Have to get a adaptor plug to check it, and still need to find a subset for it.

Here's some pics!

- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, very nice!  The handset and cord make a huge difference.  That mounting cord looks like a nice original cloth cord.  Very nice phone.  You can always use an old 302 chassis for a subset until you get one.  Nice job on the phone!

AET

Thanks Dennis! And I have been considering the 302 chassis as well.  It is an original cloth cord I am sure.  This phone looks like it was never cleaned, let alone altered!!!
- Tom

McHeath

Looks great.  Did you paint that handset?

AET

No, it's a replacement I got from Jester. 
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Wow! Tom, that's a nice rig, I guess I need to get one. Are the bases of these solid brass or plated ? If solid brass, you woukld have a near mint phone once cleaned up.
D/P

I have a 202, that I need a E1 handset, preferably near mint...
Jester are you listening, belated Christmas gifts are always welcome..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

It's plated, that's the one issue with the phone is that the plating is worn off in a couple places. 
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 25, 2009, 01:30:44 PM
It's plated, that's the one issue with the phone is that the plating is worn off in a couple places. 

I have bought several kits from Caswell to plate small train, and radio  parts for restoration.  This will work great for touch up on brass plating, and it's not real expensive for the amount of plating you can do.
D/P

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm

AET

I will have to get my hands on one of those for that Imperial! Thanks!!!
- Tom

bingster

These are plated in rhodium, which is a common gold-colored plating material.  Brass plate would tarnish too quickly to be of any use on a phone.  I've seen a couple modern ones that have been re-plated in actual gold, though, and they're spectacular.  And not at all cheap.
= DARRIN =

AET

I'm all about being cheap.  I'm surprised I don't wear leisure suits!
- Tom

Dan/Panther

You can get the gold plate kit, or brass plate and cover with a clear coat, that should last a long time, unless it's an every day driver.
D/P

AET

Shee-yoot, I'd be surprised if it's even gonna get hooked up for a long time.  Unless I get a nice subscriber set for it.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
You are right, it is most likely a toned lacquer sprayed on to simulate a brass plate.
Marx used it alot on their high end train sets.
I would like to find a source for the rhodium in spray cans.
Would you happen to know where to get it ?
D/P

bingster

No idea, Dan, but I tell ya what, if I could find some, I'd use the heck out of it.  I love stuff like that.
= DARRIN =