"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

50AL w/ 2AE dial

Started by JimNY, October 11, 2019, 10:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNY

Hi All,

I found this 50AL locally and for cheap. I was interested in it for the #2AE dial, but discovered it has the party line dial plate (132E?). Anyrate, was curious what reciever would have been original with this phone. I've had the base off, but don't see any obvious date stamps on it.

Thanks in advance for all the informative responses.

Ktownphoneco

Jim   ....   If the dial has what looks to be a "notchless enamel number plate", and that's not an overlay that's on the number plate, it's worth more by itself than the entire telephone.     It's worth somewhere between $140.00 and $155.00 in my opinion.    I "rarely" use the word "rare", but lets put it this way :  it's very hard to find, especially in decent condition.

Receivers :   A 143 or 144 receiver would be appropriate.       You might find a date on the back of the dial, or on the back of the transmitter bridge, but that's a "maybe".   

Nice find !

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

Jim...Jeff is correct, a very cool dial. I found one this summer as well.

Stick was painted grey. Ughh! I got the paint off the stick, but the Copper was peaking through the black.

I gently removed the paint around the dial. It is tough to do as if you go too far you remove the copper plate as well.

I eventually  got the rest of the paint off gently using just Brasso. I can't find that pic

You got a great stick!...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1920s-Western-Electric-USA-Candlestick-Telephone-For-Parts-or-Repair/254350221414?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

JimNY

Thanks for the replies, and that is great news. I spotted the notchless plate when i first saw it, but didn't realize it was designated for party service, or that it made it more desirable!  Sounds like the value of the dial makes the whole thing a good restoration candidate, especially since I only paid $50 for it.  ;D

Jack Ryan

Quote from: JimNY on October 11, 2019, 10:38:00 AM
I was interested in it for the #2AE dial, but discovered it has the party line dial plate (132E?).

A 2AE dial always has that number plate - that is what the 'E' of 2AE designates.

It is used to call party line subscribers on a manual exchange. The subscriber calling is not generally on a party line.

The 2AE was also (infrequently) used as a conventional single letter dial to select an auto exchange in a city with multiple exchanges.

Jack

JimNY

I guess I should have said that I was interested in the #2 dial.  I'm new to collecting but figured out that a #2 dial w/ a notchless number plate is good. Obviously, I haven't learned about all the #2 variations. I have a lot to learn! Thanks for the info.