"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 18, 2017, 08:36:29 PM
WOW! Only 1 minute at Opa Locka, that must be  record!

Or maybe it was never there!

Oh, now I see what we all missed on first glance!

May 16, 2017, 12:05 am    Departed USPS Origin Facility    OPA LOCKA, FL 33054
May 16, 2016, 12:04 am    Arrived at USPS Origin Facility    OPA LOCKA, FL 33054

Terry

19and41

They delivered it next door.  my neighbor brought it the next day.  It could've had a good time at Opa Locka for that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 18, 2017, 08:36:29 PM
WOW! Only 1 minute at Opa Locka, that must be  record!

That was an exception, Harry.

Search for "Opa Locka Post Office Problems" and found tons of stuff like this (the first 48 hits are all about problems). These are the first dozen I found on two different sites. There are more but I guess you could say we who have had Opa Locka issues are no where near alone.

#8 and #12 are interesting and submitted by whomever to those sites, nothing has been verified. This is posted as humorous, possibly fictional entertainment as found on the interweb using the google . . .  ;)

=====================================

1)  2/19/15 "I am extremely stressed at the fact that the sorting facility in Miami holds mail forever and I don't know what to do? Right now there are 15 packages not being sent out. What do I do in this situation? I don't want to have problems with the customers and I don't want to issue a refund to all of them because eventually they will be delivered.. Please help. I don't want negative feedback due to the Post Office. "

2)  2/19/15 "I live in Miami, so all of my items go through that facility. Last week I had severe delays there causing some items to arrive late. If the item is past its estimated delivery by USPS (not amazon), call their 1800 number and open a case. Open a case for each item if you have to. Usually that'll move things along a little faster."

3)  2/21/15 "Opa Locka is awful, the worst postal sorting facility in the system right now. Does anyone know why this is the case? I keep experiencing huge delays with this facility. Ideas on how to best address this? The post office has no accountability - very frustrating."

4)  2/21/15 "Opa Locka has been a nightmare for some time now. I always cringe when I see any of my packages there. It's never pretty. Why they end up there for me is a mystery too. I am in central FL, and when shipping out of the state why do they go south to Opa Locka? Can't get an answer on that one."

5)  2/22/15 "My mailman of 15 years has been telling me the part timers they have hired are lazy and just don't care. On Mondays and especially after a holiday they don't make the truck. Some on Mondays take 7 days."

6)  3/1/14 "you can see from all those tracking they are taking from me packages and leave them sitting for two to three days before they leave the processing facility in opa locka miami,"

7)  3/2/14 "We're just north of you in New York and we just have to say that we feel that all of the workers for USPS in Florida seem to think they are already retired with how slow they process packages, especially at the OPA LOCKA, FL sort facility. Why does a package sit for 4 to 6 days in OPA LOCKA, FL sort facility? Who knows, some of our Florida shipments are not sent via USPS anymore because of this, what a shame. Hopefully things improve with USPS soon overall and in certain areas where there doesn't seem to much in the way of oversight of operations."

8 )  5/25/17 "This place got busted a couple weeks ago its suppose to be on the hush 27 Employees Fired for Stealing, Lost so many packages here, its the Bermuda Triangle of all packages coming to Miami. You been warned Lost Phones, Headphones you name it if its coming to you insure it."

9)  5/6/17 "This is the worst sorting facility in all states. Our packages stuck there for 5 to 6 days. We have thousands shipment went to all 50 states, this is the worst postal facility. All late shipment are coming from OPA LOCKA. You figure."

10) 4/27/17 "This is the third time I've watched my packages sit in LIMBO or VANISH after it was logged at this location. This current situation... April 3, 2017, 10:41 pm Arrived at USPS Origin Facility OPA LOCKA, FL 33054 April 11, 2017. NO updates since this package was in the possession of this facility. I order from someone that uses the HIALEAH, FL. facility and from there it goes to OPA LOCKA, FL. What is going on at that facility? It seems like I am not the only one making complaints. If you try to call them you get a attitude or they purposely put you on hold and or hang up on you. Clearly they do not want to help you!"

11)  3/26/17 "As of March 12 2017, Opa Locka is the WORST USPS location in the 50 States. Packages sit there for days on end. I want to drive down there from Ft Lauderdale and see what king of IDIOTS are there and what they are actually doing. Not sorting mail, that's for sure."

12)  3/24/17 "Wow I've read the comments and I shocked that my item went to this location and now is stuck there from March 3rd 2017. I got someone to answer the phone but after beING on hold for almost an hour i still can't get my item to be shipped out."

compubit

Here's my recent tracking:

Going from Pennsylvania to Northern Virginia via California...

Looks like someone keyed in Richmond, CA, rather than Richmond, VA in the

At least it didn't go through Opalocka...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

This is from the City of Opa Locka official web site

http://www.opalockafl.gov/index.aspx?NID=229

which says ="The area was originally named by the Native Americans "Opa-tisha-wocka-locka" meaning "a big island covered with many  trees and swamps" but the name was quickly shorten to Opa-locka."

So, translating Opa-Locka back into the English meaning, one gets "a big swamp," right? Seems about right.

Sargeguy

What is wrong with this picture???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Keep in mind that Harvard, MA is about 50 miles away
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 05, 2018, 08:55:54 AM
Keep in mind that Harvard, MA is about 50 miles away

I have driven in MA.  The roads are very confusing, and the signage was quite bad.

Larry

19and41

Gee, all that action and Opa Locka didn't even get to play!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

It was marked "Out for Delivery" this morning but it is almost 9pm and there is no sign of it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

Does anyone remember Cliff Claven, the infamous postal worker on Cheers? When he wasn't sitting in the bar was hardly at work, was delivering mail to the wrong people in an apartment building...
He now delivers in my neighborhood.
A few weeks ago a package came via mail, tracking said it was delivered to my box. I checked and it wasn't there, no surprise, he often puts my mail in the box right above, or below mine.
Next day I waited for ol Cliffy to drive by my house to the mail box's.
I said, Cliff I'm expecting a package, gave him my box number, he said with a puzzled look on his face, nope you didn't get anything.. I said tracking says it was in my box yesterday, and it's not, any chance you put it in the wrong box? Oh no he says proudly. I said let's check and see.
Get your keys, so he opened the back of the boxes and sure enough right where I thought it would be, in the box right above mine.
I said perhaps next time you could pay a little more attention to what box you put mail in... ?
KEN

19and41

That's why I painted my address on the inside of the mailbox door.  It straightens mine out and the others he may or may not drive back to. :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Each mail box has numbers that come up when the delivery door is opened. But I've watched him put mail in boxes, he grabs a hand full of mail and glances and pushes his hand towards the boxes, what ever box it lands in is the box that gets it. Usually we have a girl who delivers the mail, but when she's on vacation or takes the day/week off Cliff takes over.
It's getting so I know when she's on and when she's off.
I was on the BOD a few years ago and had access to the spare keys for the boxes, (I had to replace locks once and a while) and have on occasion had to go grab the key for the box above.
KEN

Sargeguy

I'm taking bets on whether or not I will actually get my package....
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Yeah, I am curious about packages I sent out last week. I sent 6 packages to Germany. Three of them went to New Jersey after a brief stop at Opa-Locka and have already cleared customs in Germany. The other 3 went to Texas and have not left the US yet. Why all 6 did not follow the same route is a mystery to me. All going to the same address, all postage printed the same day, all delivered to the USPS at the same time. Why did they go in different directions?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"