and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soviet payphone handset wiring?

Started by Frank_telephone, April 17, 2022, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_telephone

Hi
I have the following payphone:

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/old-payphone-with-rotary-dial-of-the-former-soviet-union-gm947216438-258640212

I need to know the 4 wires that go to the handset and which one they are connected to (ear or mouth piece).  If anyone knows how to open the ear or mouth piece it would be helpful.
There is a green, red, yellow, and white wire.

HarrySmith

I am not sure about soviet payphones but here in the US the caps were permanatly glued on. The ony repair was to replace the handset.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

If you have access to a voltmeter, you should be able to use the resistance/impedance/continuity function to determine which pairs are connected together across the transmitter and receiver. 

Also, if the voltmeter give true impedance of the speaker or microphone, the receiver should be 4-8 Ohms, whereas the microphone (assuming it's carbon), would be in the 50-20p range.

Alternatively, you can do the "trial and error" method...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius

one of mine is wired red to tx
green to rec
blue common to tx and rec
built by Telta in Perm Russia