News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Dial Too Slow for FIOS

Started by DarrenWGaransi, October 28, 2011, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenWGaransi

I had FIOS installed yesterday and surprisingly it does support pulse dialing.  I figured this out by switching one of my newer phones to the pulse setting.  However, my 302 doesn't seem to spin fast enough to dial accurately-it's either hit or miss with wrong or right numbers.  I took the dial out of the phone and there doesn't seem to be much room to do anything with it.  The dial is #6 on the fingerstop with a 5-57 date-obviously newer than the phone itself.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Adam

Two words.

Steve Hilsz.

http://www.navysalvage.com/
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

Agreed. Email Steve at jydsk@tds.net. or his website, navysalvage.com
$6.00 to clean, repair and calibrate any dial!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Quick & Dirty Dial Speed Test:  Get a phone with a known-good dial, put it on the table near the one you're testing.  Now with a finger on your left hand, dial zero on one of them but keep your finger in the hole.  With a finger on your right hand, do the same on the other phone.  Now pull both fingers out of both zero holes at the same time so the dials start to return at the same moment.  Listen to the time they come to rest. 

If one of them is running slow, repeat the test but dial 9 on that one instead of 0.  See if they match.  If it's still finishing slower than the one that's dialing 0, repeat the test with dialing 8 on the slow one, and so on.  This will tell you how much slower the slow dial is running.

For dissimilar dials, you may have to use different digits.  WE dials have two "blank spaces" on the fingerwheel between 1 and 0.  AE dials have three "blank spaces."  GPO dials and most other foreign ones (German, French, Japanese, etc.) have four blank spaces between 1 and 0.   Thus a GPO dial that is dialing 8, will return at the same time as a WE dial that's dialing 0, because the GPO dial has more "blank space" during its "off-normal" period. 

Generally any dial that's within one digit of a "reference dial" per this test, is going to work without any issues.    WE #6 and newer tend to have very little variation over time, so a clean example of one of those will usually be running at the correct speed. 

---

OTOH your problem may be with the way the dial is wired, or with the contacts, such that when the dial is moved off-normal, you end up with an open line.  If you have a test set you can use the monitor mode to listen to what's happening and over time you'll get to know how a line sounds when this happens (which is subtly different to how it sounds when the line is merely being shorted as part of the dialing process, for example by the extra off-normal contact on AE dials). 

Bill

I have always found that a quick and dirty test for a slow dial is to gently "help" it return. Don't force it to return - just help it a bit. If it dials OK when you help it, then the problem is simply a grubby dial mechanism. And as Adam pointed out, the answer to this problem is simple - Steve Hilsz. Fast service, inexpensive, you can't do better.

Bill