"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this phone?

Started by Lee David Day, January 19, 2017, 11:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee David Day

Dear Forum People,
This is my first try at real communication on the Forum. I hope this is the right place.

I have several old phones in my collection that I can't identify. I am going to try posting
some photos today so I can get help.

This phone has considerable wear. There is one foot missing, and the original letters and
numbers on the outer rim are mostly worn off. Notice the word OPERATOR is still visible
where it is was stamped. The paint or ink is gone. Believe it or not, even with one bell missing,
the ringer still works. It won't call out, the dial tone is still there after trying a number.

unbeldi

It looks like a Western Electric 5302, which was an upgrade of a 302 telephone with a new housing that had the general shape of a 500-type set.  These upgrades were performed in the distribution and repair centers to reuse good components from stock piles of returned 302 sets, but provide the custom with the look of one of the new telephones.

The B3A stamp indicates the ringer. A B3A ringer was normally used in a 306 telephone with an electron tube for ringing. Is it still in you set ?  An internal picture would help.
The upgraded version of a 306 was the 5306, but it may not have been upgraded that way.  Since the set rings, as you state, I am assuming it wasn't converted to a 5306.

Sorry, I overlooked the internal picture.  Indeed the electron tube was replaced with that yellow capacitor.   The gong is probably missing, because the foot is missing.  Another enhancement in the 5302 sets was that the gong could be moved with a simple mechanical adjustment bracket which was mounted by the screw that also holds the foot in place.  Someone removed both.  The feature permitted adjustment of bell loudness through on of the slots in the base plate.

Here is a picture:

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome to the forum!

The numbers and letters on your dial bezel aren't worn off, they were painted over. Originally, this phone would have had a smaller dial plate under the fingerwheel, which would have been Black with white dots, to mimic the 500 series dials. Somewhere along the line, someone changed out the original plate for one that would have been attached to the dial on an older phone. They didn't want duplicate sets of numbers and letters on one phone, so they painted over the numbers and letters on the outer bezel.

These dial bezels were interesting in that they were made using a process call dual-injection molding. The numbers and letters were actually as thick as the surrounding black plastic, so it was impossible to wear through. That makes restoration for these phones MUCH easier, since we can sand a dial bezel down without worrying about wearing through! :)

Try spraying the dial bezel with oven cleaner like Easy Off (the heavy duty stuff, not fume-free), after you disassemble the phone, of course. It should clean the paint off very easily.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

There's some background info including model variations and documentation sources here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300

You can scroll up the page to see the comparable 300-series telephones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

andre_janew

It might not dial out because the dial could be wired up wrong.  Pictures of how the dial is wired may help determine whether or not it is the case.

Lee David Day

Thank you for all your input. I'm going to try the Oven Cleaner when the
weather gets better and I can do it out doors. There is one other problem.
This phone doesn't come completely apart like a regular 500. The top is not
a shell, but the dial mechanism is attached. And that  top  part is attached to the
base by a short, heavy, canvas strap, riveted to both of them.

I'm also wondering why my photos posted sideways. I intend to post many more,
so I would appreciate some advice on how to get  them turned up correctly.
DDay

unbeldi

Quote from: Lee David Day on January 20, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
Thank you for all your input. I'm going to try the Oven Cleaner when the
weather gets better and I can do it out doors. There is one other problem.
This phone doesn't come completely apart like a regular 500. The top is not
a shell, but the dial mechanism is attached. And that  top  part is attached to the
base by a short, heavy, canvas strap, riveted to both of them.
That is because it is not a 500 at all.  It only looks like one.  Having all components, including the dial mounted on the telephone base plate was an invention for efficiency in the 500 set.  The cloth strap that holds the housing to the base was inherited from the 302. It should not be riveted to the housing, only to the base, it normally comes off when you unscrew the cord retainer bracket in the housing.  See picture attached. Doesn't yours have a screw ?

I'm also wondering why my photos posted sideways. I intend to post many more,
so I would appreciate some advice on how to get  them turned up correctly.
DDay
Some cameras don't set the orientation meta data correctly in the image.  Use an image editor and rotate the picture.

unbeldi

If you do strip the paint from the dial bezel to expose the lettering, you probably want to hunt for a 164C number plate for the dial, shown below.

Lee David Day

unbeldi

Thanks for all your attention and information. I have since closed that phone up and put it
away, so I'm not sure about the way that strap is attached. I will open it up and check it.
The exterior of that phone is pretty rough, so I'm not sure how much time and money I
want to spend on it. Thanks for the education.
DDay