News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay 400150053136 Western Electric 307 C Dial H-7 Switch Hook 1949 Phone

Started by Doug Rose, September 02, 2010, 09:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Nice party line 302 on eBay. Plunger lifts to activate call.  Question I have it looks as if the "Lift Plunger to dial or talk" has been added after. The one I have it is etched into the thermoplastic (Second Picture)....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

I know which web site he referenced!
   http://www.paul-f.com/we307.html

Most of the sets with the lift plunger message have been applied, as are the two in the auctions.  My guess is that the engraved legends were earlier and the change was made to reduce cost. 

It also made it easier to modify any set in the 300 series for that function.

The code added to the bottom indicates the standard H7 mounting (307) has been modified according to standard A9838 to add the lift plunger option.

The next question is why is one a 307B and one a 307C?  The BSP makes it clear.  Has anyone else figured it out?

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

KeithB

Just a guess, but one for each different party on a two-party line?

paul-f

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on September 02, 2010, 10:49:24 AM
I know which web site he referenced!
   http://www.paul-f.com/we307.html

Most of the sets with the lift plunger message have been applied, as are the two in the auctions.  My guess is that the engraved legends were earlier and the change was made to reduce cost. 

It also made it easier to modify any set in the 300 series for that function.

The code added to the bottom indicates the standard H7 mounting (307) has been modified according to standard A9838 to add the lift plunger option.

The next question is why is one a 307B and one a 307C?  The BSP makes it clear.  Has anyone else figured it out?

Paul...that's interesting. I have bever seen an applied one before. Thanks for sharing the knowledge....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

The only thing that I found on the BSP's that was different between B & C were the dials.
Paul, please explain.
Dougpav

paul-f

Well done, Doug.

Isn't that enough?

This isn't rocket science or a trick question.  Most model number variations (suffix codes) specify relatively minor differences in components, such as the dial or mounting cord.

More specifically, the 307B has a 5HA dial and the 307C has a 5HB dial.

Now, for extra credit, what's the difference between the 5HA and 5HB dials?

Hint: anyone can answer this one with the info and links presented above.  There's no need to look it up in a BSP.

Hint 2: In retrospect, it's a long shot with just the info above.  It would help to go to the ebay auction and look at the seller's other auctions.

Dennis Markham

I'm going to take a guess and say the HA dial had a numbers only dial plate (Rural Plate) and the HB had/has the Numbers/Letters plate (Metropolitan Plate).  Close??

paul-f

That's it!

It seems a great many of the model variations are just for the proper dial plate in the dial.  Think of the inventory requirements and recordkeeping for all those model numbers.

That was one of the things they wanted to simplify for the 500 series.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

So the H designation simply refers to the four contacts for the anti side-tone dial?  Thus 4H, 5H??  But most of those aren't marked HA.  Originally were the markings made on all of the finger stops?  I've only seen finger stop designations on the earlier #2 dials (and only in pictures).

paul-f

Correct.  The H relates to the contacts and wiring.  They stopped marking the dial plate code on the dial (as it was so easy to change in the field), but it was still used in the BSPs and order codes.

Wallphone

I kinda lead you wrong Dennis when I said the H stood for Handset. But that is what I associated it with because they used the A style dial in the metal wall phones with the separate receiver. Don't believe everything I say.
Dougpav

Wallphone

Paul, in BSP 501-162-100 it was almost the opposite with dial plate 164A having Letters & Numbers, and the 164B didn't. Was the 164B plate the one with only the dots used in the 5302's?
Dougpav