"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Member from the UK

Started by JubileeCompact, May 30, 2010, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hey People

Im Seamus from Dover in Kent down in the South East of England and have been collecting phones for about 25 years. The 1st phone we had was a refurbished Trimphone back in 84. I have a wide and varied collection of 50+ phones from a 1920 something GPO 121 (wall mounted version of the candlestick) right up to a current model BT digital cordless.

I will get round to doing more pics soon but heres the one that my user name comes from - a 1977 Silver Jubilee Compact phone. I have 2 the one sat onthe bagged bellset was never issued so is rather mint :).

Seamus
Seamus

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum, Seamus:

We are glad you are here.  I have never seen one of those phones before.  Did the Jubilee Compact not have a built-in ringer?

-Bill G

gpo706

Hi Seamus, or is it Jubs?

All the folks on here are real freindly and helpful bunch, helped me many times, I'm on this side of the pond too, and pretty freindly unless your bidding against me!

Welcome aboard, give us a list of your inventory so I can drool.

Scot
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

Seamus;
Welcome to our forum. We always like to hear from our fellow collectors throughout the world.
Like Bill asked, is the creme colored box a subset ? A very unique phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JubileeCompact

Hey Scot

Jubs is fine- I answer to most things lol.........

Bill/Dan

As Scot will know the light Grey box is indeed the bell unit/subset. The Jubilee version lacks the lever at the front to adjust the bell volume that the later standard models had. The Jubilee was the first version and it was later produced in light grey, bright blue and mocha brown. I have an example of each in the collection:). Sadly I have yet to acquire any of the wall mounted versions(the cover of the subset was replaced with a colour matched shelf moulding that the phone sat on).

I would imagine the design came about when a Post Office designer looked at a 162/232 and thought hmm how can we update this.........

As with the 232 and the US 202 many Ebay examples lack the bell unit. One possible reason is that although always supplied with the phone PO installation instructions state the phone could be connected to a standard block terminal and this would then be linked to the bell by fixed wiring to enable it to be fixed remotely from the phone.

Will take more pics ASAP :)
Seamus

gpo706

Hey Jubs,

I got a bog standard 746 blue, nice buy, but it also has a wee white bell dampening slide under the housing, unusual - is this the same as the Jubilee bellset arm?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright